1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

'Only More So': Battle With Bipolar

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by mnguy, Oct 18, 2022.

1. mnguy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I thought the article was interesting and maybe others might relate to it. I haven't been diagnosed, but it's possible. The part I quoted was shocking in a way, assuming working parents that long ago would be very harsh and not support creative endeavors. It made me think of all the people who could have been very happy working in the arts or whatever but were shamed or otherwise dissuaded of the idea by family/community. Also made me think of parallels to LGBTQ folks, how much harder it is to be happy, do what you enjoy and reach full potential when we can't be authentic. It's sad too bc joy can spread from people like waves and there's so much potential joy being snuffed out and for what reason?

https://www.npr.org/2010/10/19/130537541/only-more-so-mark-vonneguts-battle-with-bipolar

"One hundred thirty-nine years ago, my great-grandfather Bernard Vonnegut, fifteen years old, described as less physically robust than his two older brothers, probably asthmatic, started crying while doing inventory at the family hardware store. When his parents asked what was wrong, he said he didn't know but he thought he wanted to be an artist.

"I don't want to sell nails," he sobbed.

Maybe his parents should have beaten him for being ungrateful, but they wanted their son to be happy..."