1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

On gay marriage, Obama’s critics and supporters alike think he may shift again

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Dan82, May 24, 2012.

1. ArcaneVerse

Lol...what I quoted wasn't even about the US constitution...it was about churches and history. sigh. nice try though.

I wouldn't dream of talking about the us constitution because i don't know enough about it. but just because I'm Australian doesn't mean I cant hold a valid and informed opinion about the US Constitution.

2. RedState

Well, point taken.

You can have all the valid and informed opinions on our government all you want..that is certainly within your right.

But, sorry, not taking any points serious from someone who doesn't live under the laws of the land...and the land being the most bad ass nation the world has ever known..that would be the USA

In which I expect, and respect, the same from those who live in other regions of this vast globe of ours.

3. ArcaneVerse

Ok...its official, your just a troll. "I cant prove that my argument wasn't ridiculous so ill make anything you say invalid because your Australian, and Australian logic is soo inferior to US logic. WIN!!"...sigh

4. RedState

Well, you can say whatever the fuck you want..I really don't care man...so please flame away..I rather enjoy it at times :slight_smile:

But to the point, no I think marriage is a function of the Church..or at least it has evolved to a function of the Church in modern times

5. ArcaneVerse

Yes and it then evolved to a function of the state. so why cant it evolve again?

If it remains a function of the church (which it isnt), which church? there are many different churches with various views on marriage some which approve gay marriage. what about pagan religions that still remain today, not to mention other religions, that have held beliefs for longer then the church has on marriage?

6. RedState

Then that's fine..if you are in a state that recognizes same sex marriage and find or belong to a church that condones it then knock your self out..go for it, I think that's awesome. But that belief of a same sex union will not be forced upon a faith by a government... the day we give that kind of authority to government is the day we all should be frightened..that type of shift will come from within that individual faith.

#26 RedState, May 26, 2012
    Last edited: May 27, 2012
  7. Martin

Board Member Admin Team Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Nope, just simply playing party politics. Romney's doing the exact same by appealing to social conservatives and seperating himself from previous electoral pledges (abortion, gay rights etc) when he ran a much more micro-campaign in Massachussetts many years ago. One of the reasons I take such an interest in American politics is because political issues can change rather rapidly, and the country itself is so large and diverse that it's interesting how politicians have to mould a political message that has as much widespread appeal as possible. I think it's because of that reason that so many political figures can have their political positions contradicted, because you see politicians simply playing the game and it really doesn't become difficult to see why a Republican (in this political climate) can't run a Massachusetts style campaign under the same pledges made in the 90's and expect it to get him elected with Southern voters. It would be very easy to look at any politician and find inconsistencies in what they say (including Obama), but I think people are far too quick to attach negative labels that overestimate the intent behind it. For example, I don't think Obama was ever against same-sex marriage, nor do I think Romney really is against it in the way other political figures are, but both just simply made value judgements that helped them play to their bases. That is, to quote an Abba song, 'the name of the game'.

I would, however, not be so quick to devalue people's opinion on the basis that they aren't from America or living in it. American politics is something I take quite a personal interest in because of how interesting and diverse it can be (especially compared to the UK), and I consider one of my strengths to be that I can actually have discussions on it without being affected by the emotional bullshit that politics often brings out in people. After all, I'm not from America, so it's extremely easy for me to study American politics and its Constitutional history without having a Democratic or Republican tint in my eyes. I would have thought you'd be one of the biggest advocates for independent thought, rather than everybody conforming along party lines. I'd put it to you that those outside the US are likely to be some of the most objective people on American political issues. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

I notice your avatar is of Margaret Thatcher (well resembles her :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:). I'm willing to bet you'd be able to give a more objective viewpoint on her political achievements than many of my family members would. Tis your lack of affiliation with the UK political sphere that would give you an advantage in such discussions. It would not, if we followed your logic, immediately invalidate any points you make simply because you arent British. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

8. RedState

But I've never given any evaluations on the UK political sphere..because I don't live under the rules.

I do love PM's questions tho...they always say the House of Commons is like the US Congress , but only with a 4 drink minimum

#28 RedState, May 27, 2012
  9. Martin

Board Member Admin Team Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well your avatar resembles Margaret Thatcher, and I seem to recall you speaking positively of her at some point in the past, so in a way you've already given a form of evaluation on one British PM. :wink: I'm also pretty confident you'd be able to justify any thoughts you have on her political career, so twould be rather silly and illogical of me to simply devalue your thoughts on the basis that your passport isn't similar to mine. There are people who will go along with rules without ever being interested in questioning them, and there are others who aren't necessarily affected by the rules but will find them interesting to learn about and discuss. Who would you rather speak with? :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

The HoC is an absolutely crazy placeee. Most of the politicians would be about 30 stone if they didn't have all that whack-a-moley exercise that they do when bopping up and down randomly. >.<

10. RedState

Well, of course my avatar is Maggie..love her...but I don't sit and tell the British People they should listen to her (however she was vindicated in insisting on not giving up the Pound Sterling and submitting the UK to a single European currency..if she knew where she was now she would say "told you so assholes")

I just simply believe that if you are going to preach the role of a particular government, you should live by the rules of said government...live by the sword, die by the sword so to speak.

Unless you are Greece that is...if they don't get their act together then we all are fucked.

You know I actually was less than a foot from The Queen one time? And Tony Blair...how bout that? It was in London, and I was a dumb college kid..but it was neat none the less

I'm fascinated by your structure of government...but I will never meddle in telling you how you should run it.

11. sguyc

I think the government should renounce all connection to "marriage" and only be in the business of granting civil partnerships. This is based on the fact that the term marriage has so much religious baggage attached to it (thousands of years worth) that it should be left to religions (or personal belief systems). Until this happens however of course gay marriage should be instated for equality reasons.

12. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The argument that marriage is a church-based institution has some problems. For one, as Revan has pointed out, one has to have a marriage license, which is subject to various state laws, but the marriage itself can be conducted by almost anybody... a ship captain, a justice of the peace, a judge, a military officer, a person with a Universal Life Church certificate of ordination (cost=free).

So I think it's hard to argue that marriage, *as we practice it today* is strictly a religious institution; it's been historically the jurisdiction of the church, but these days a lot of ceremonies happen with no one remotely religious in attendance. And as far as I know, the IRS and just about everyone else relies on the existence of a marriage certificate, issued by a governmental body, as proof that the marriage exists.

I think it's a fair argument that the constitution does not, and perhaps should not, make any mention of marriage, but I don't think that policies about who can and cannot get a marriage certificate should be determined based on a patchwork of different laws based on what part of the country you live in; it hardly seems fair that if you are in NJ or MA or IA that you can get a marriage certificate for two men or two women... but if you happen to live a few miles away across the line, you cannot.

And that's why I feel like it makes sense to have some consistent ruling that's applicable throughout the US on the issue, whether that's a federal law, or a ruling by the Supremes that applies throughout the country. Again, it's really, in my opinion, boils down to a civil rights issue, and until the Feds stepped in, we had the same sort of patchwork about civil rights and marriage rights for people of color. So I feel like it's time to do the same thing for gay people.

13. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Sigh...here we go again...I would say me and my big mouth, but I suppose I didn't really start it. Will we ever actually stay on topic I wonder.

#33 Revan, May 27, 2012