1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT News Olympic diving star Tom Daley Daley reveals relationship with man

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Harve, Dec 2, 2013.

1. yep

yep

My friends and I were talking about this today and although we knew he wasn't out, we always thought he was gay or bi. So, this just confirmed our thoughts. As of now, I would say he's bi just because he "still fancies girls," but who knows where that will lead...

Regardless, he is SO CUTE. <3 :O

2. Ticklish Fish

I'm told daily mail is not that good of a source, lol.

3. Rakkaus

Rakkaus Guest

Tom Daley has been pretty much a gay icon since he first stepped up on the diving board of international fame. Plenty of gay men have been obsessed with him ever since, all the gay websites and blogs looked for any excuse to post pics of him (sometimes accompanied with some form of filler written posting just to justify posting the pics)....he's always said he appreciated his gay fanbase even though he wasn't gay himself. (Curiously similar to the sort of denials we've heard from some other suspiciously gay-seeming young British guys from One Direction :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:).

As for whether he is gay or bi, we can't make assumptions. Choosing only to say he's in a relationship with a man doesn't imply anything else really about whether he's gay or bi. The fact that he has dated girls in the past means absolutely nothing as to his true orientation; plenty of 100% gay Kinsey 6 guys have dated, had sex with, even married women for decades before finally coming out about their true orientation (or in many sad cases, particularly in past eras, just going to their graves with that burning secret about themselves). Many gay guys of course when first coming out will initially insist we still fancy girls and are bi (as I did), only much later finally feeling comfortable enough to close the door on the chance for a heteronormative life completely. In Tom Daley's case, he also has his own career and commercial marketing motivations to keep those millions of teenage girl fans interested in him, all believing they will one day have a chance with him. Saying "I'm gay" would kill his marketing potential; keeping things ambiguous, like he did, maintains his marketability. (Similar financial motivations probably explain why the One Direction members would never come out as gay, even if one or two or all of them were actually gay).

It's up to Tom Daley to decide how to label himself, when he feels comfortable to label himself. Or he could just be the sort of person who eschews labels completely and just says 'love is love', without feeling the need to put an orientation label on himself. It's not up to the Daily Mail to decide how to label Tom Daley or anyone else.

4. yep

yep

this. (!)

5. Techno Kid

Re: Tom Daley comes out

Me neither...I am so not connected to pop culture! :grin:

Still think it's great that he was able to come out though! Also he is pretty cute. :icon_redf

#65 Techno Kid, Dec 2, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2013
  6. GeeLee

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Still more credible than Sean Hannity

[YOUTUBE]Ji-cT58rgNc[/YOUTUBE]

7. SixesAndSevens

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yep. I'm all for freedom of speech but if I could chuck anything in room 101, it'd be the Daily Mail! :lol:
    Exactly. We seem to obsess over labels when all we know is that he has found love and that it just happens to be another man where he's found it. It's still a very brave move though and I'm pleased to see that the overwhelming majority of the response has been more than positive too. Frankly the Daily Mail and its readers are just like a pantomime villain; they're so over the top and terrible in their remarks that it's almost laugh worthy.

Most importantly, good on you Tom for telling the truth directly and not letting the media twist the message.

8. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Why is making assumptions about sexual orientation bad? There is nothing wrong with it except when there are negative judgments about those orientations. The fact is, stereotypes are based on some truths. This is also the basis of most people's gaydar, so are you saying that gaydar is bad as well?

9. catboy

Is diving a winter olympic sport? If so he is super brave to come out know, knowing that Russia is going to be his home through Febuary. If diving isn't in the winter olympics I still admire him for coming out as an athlete. Go Tom!

10. Robert

Robert Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Lets all just sit back and admire.

[​IMG]

11. Geek

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    All but family
    "I still fancy girls of course".... really?

12. Pat

Pat

It's gotta be difficult to come out on such a grand scale. I think because we see him in the spotlight, we assume that he may not have gone through what we go through. Which is that little glimmer of hope that we may still be interested in women. I think he's purely just gay.. simply based on the way that he denied it on a couple of occasions. Not to say it's an exact science, but usually bisexual people that I've known or celebrities I've known about..they usually find a way to say that sexuality doesn't really matter to them. And that they like who they like. It's a bit more vague than just denying that you could like guys. Maybe he does like girls, maybe he's confused? My guess is that if he's at the stage where he was ready to be in a relationship, he should have a pretty good grip on who he is and what he wanted.

13. GeeLee

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    See, told you this would be dead in the water by today. Not a peep about it from the TV and the Daily Mail hasn't said anything remotely stupid.

*Opens paper*

"Tom Daley partied at gay nightclub"

[​IMG]

Next week The Sun publishes an investigation into the disturbing trend of men going to the pub.

14. Harve

Except he was 14 then. Slightly worrying.

15. LionsAndShadows

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    As a member of this forum from the UK I have followed this story with some interest on a number of news websites and forums (including some of the right-wing press). I regret to have to tell you all that the most depressing is this thread on EC. For the first time ever I feel like shouting: GROW UP!

Tom Daley's news that he is happily in a relationship with a man is wonderful for him. For us it has got nothing to do with Tom and his boyfriend. For us it means that a huge amount of progress has been made. Progress that, twenty something years ago was unthinkable. It saddens me how little that is being celebrated here.

16. MrAllMonday

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I don't care!

SO WHAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I DON'T WANNA HEAR THIS STORY OVER AND OVER AND OVER AND OVER AND OVER AND OVER AGAIN!

AAHHHHH ITS WORSE THAN THE FLIPPIN ROYAL WEDDING CR*P MY MIND HAD TO ENDURE FOR GOD KNOWS HOW LONG!

I got the message. Okay...some guy who is covered in orange manure jumps into a pool for a living. He happens to be gay. Yes I get the picture now. NOW CAN YOU PLEASE STOP F*CKIN REPEATING THE SAME B*LLSH*T OVER AND OVER AND OVER AND OVER AND OVER AGAIN.

I can't take it anymore.

To add something to the story why are people treating this guy like the messiah? OH MY LANTA! OH MY STAR HEAVENS TOM DALEY IS GAY! HE IS GONNA RESCUE THE WORLD FROM PEOPLE THAT HATE GAYZ PEOPLEZ!! It is a progression to harmony, peace and love betweens gays/straights/bisexuals/asexuals (don't get offended if I haven't included your sexuality, if you do, I don't care).

If some fat feminine gay man said he was gay NO ONE WOULD GIVE A FLYING ****. In fact people will be like ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww HE IS SO UGLY. GET HIM OFF THE SCREEN. No one cares what this diver has to say. They are so obsessed looking at him in his swimming trunks which is SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO CREEEPY CONSIDERING HE WAS 14 WHEN HE STARTED DIVING.

People are like OH WOOOW TOM DALEY IS GAY! HE IS GONNA SAVE THE WORLD. BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH....HAHHAHAHAHAHA PLEASE DON'T MAKE ME LAUGH (seriously I have had enough giggling powder as it is).

Phew that was fun.

---------- Post added 3rd Dec 2013 at 01:48 PM ----------

^
    AND NOW I'M AN IDIOT FOR CONTRIBUTING TO SOMETHING I HATE. Funny how we become what we hate.

Sorry for the double post but it wouldn't let me edit my post so...

17. blueberrymuffin

It's great because it forces the phobics out there to basically act as traitors - and there have been a few comments like britain should vacate the medal :rolle: - or to accept that they rooted for this guy and get over their prejudice.

He also did it in the best way possible, not labeling and just saying he's with a guy and explains that he gets asked in interviews about his dating life. It's hard to say garbage like he's an attention whore when others butt in like that, and he waited all this time. Also that he did it quietly on twitter and not some profit scheming book or called a press conference etc.

#77 blueberrymuffin, Dec 3, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2013
  18. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You mean that one race on Star Trek? I do keep haring a lot about them, and wondered why. Marriages, money, divorces. Weird something out of Star Trek would get so famous.

19. Robert

Robert Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You have to admit he's hot though.

20. sokk

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    He's apparently dating Dustin Lane Black. I really don't know what to say about that..