1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Old guy, new relationship

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by Caltiki, Oct 8, 2017.

1. Caltiki

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I just turned 60, yikes, and haven't been in a relationship for 15 years. I guess I got out of the dating pool years ago after my breakup with my last boyfriend. I live in a small town and was just getting used to the idea of not needing anyone ever again. Having my time to myself, being a solitary rock and all that. And then some women I know began pestering me about some guy who worked for them had a crush on me. I politely declined, siting the independent solitary rock stuff, but they kept on pestering me.

I gave in and agreed to go on a date. Then I freaked out because he's half my age. I've only been with men my own age, but it seems gray hair is a plus for him.

I don't know where it's going or where it will end.

But long story short, it's never too late.

dreamingfreely likes this.
  2. TrevinMichael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    good for you

60 is not that old
    I am 55

99 is old

#2 TrevinMichael, Oct 13, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2017
  3. justaguyinsf

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Good to hear you've got an exciting new development in your life! I hope you will let us know what happens as I am about your age and recently found myself in the exact same situation, and I decided to throw cold water on the younger guy's crushing on me because I didn't see how dating him could have any sort of future. Perhaps I was wrong ...

4. Choirboy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm 55 and my guy is 44, not as big an age difference as yours but not unheard of. If you have enough in common that you can talk and do things together, that's all that matters. Sometimes I tell my partner about stuff that happened when I was a kid and then go all sheepish and say, geez, you weren't even BORN yet. But hell, I know straight couples 20+ years apart, so whatever works!

#4 Choirboy, Oct 13, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2017
  5. Caltiki

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My first impulse was to do the same thing. 60 and 30? But since I had already decided my dating career was over, this seems like a bonus round. It would be nice if we have a future together, and I do want that, but I'm not expecting it. All I know is that I like being with him, I miss him when he's not around, he's a LOT more adventurous than I am and I've had more fun in the last month and a half than I've had in the whole year.

It's funny, but I'm not as worried about it working out as much as I would have been at 40 or 30.

6. justaguyinsf

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    That makes a lot of sense since when one gets to a certain age you can see that this life won't go on forever, so the stakes of any one decision are not as high. In my situation the guy happens to work at the front desk of my gym and I really didn't want there to be a lot awkward tension if things didn't pan out ... and since I'm not one to have NSA sex and our age and other differences suggested things likely would not work in the long run I thought it best not to venture further. It would be nice to find a guy more suitable for dating, but that's a fairly tall order (and not just because of my age). I hope you continue to enjoy what you have with your guy!