1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ok - Let's do this.....so proud of my son!

Discussion in 'For Parents and Family Members of LGBT People' started by Nothin but love, Sep 3, 2013.

1. Nothin but love

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Last night my 14yr old freshman son woke me up around 11:30p and asked if we could talk. It's not uncommon for he and I to talk late into the night when things are weighing on his mind, so I was not surprised by his request. We sat on his bed and he told me that he was thinking of breaking up with his girlfriend. When I asked him why, he said it was because he was gay. My response was simply..."OK, so lets talk about how to do this."

He went on to tell me that while he loved her, it was not fair to her because he could not love her the way she was going to want him to. He felt that he owed it to her to be honest and his only concern was really about her. I asked him how has he known he was gay and he said since about 7th grade. Of course, I was only concerned about him in that moment and said, I hoped the past two years have not been too hard for him to live a double life - he said, "No. They were fine." I asked him why he felt he wanted to come out now, he said "Why not? its just going to be easier to get it over with."

We talked for about an hour an a half - at times me telling him I love him unconditionally, thanking him for trusting me (I'm the only one he's come out to) and also telling him how proud I am of him. Also, I said that in the past, I thought he could be but wanted him to tell me when he was ready. He mainly talked about how he would feel if his girlfriend was the one delivering the message to him and also about a friend who once said that he wasn't comfortable around gay people.

We talked about how some people may make hurtful comments, they may treat him differently and some may even get aggressive about it. I shared that this, above all, - the way he might be treated for standing up for who he is - is my biggest concern. I told him that we'd get through it, some parts might be hard - but I would be right there for him as best I could - he said, "I know you will." He also said my response was what he expected and that it was a good thing.

He's really very confident about it - doesn't feel that he needs to tell people (except his girlfriend) but is willing to be honest if others ask him. He doesn't feel that he needs to tell everyone in our family because as he says, "they'll figure it out" but will likely tell his brother and dad soon. (we are divorced and both remarried)

I'm so amazed at his positive approach and mature perspective - I'm grateful that he's so strong about it; however, I can't help but want to protect him. He said, "I don't want you to feel that you have to treat me different or you can't talk to me - or ask me questions about anything. I want you to" ... I told him I was still going to be me - and honestly, I don't feel that I would be different towards him. But there's a big part of me that wants to shelter him from what I anticipate will be a hard road. "Ok," I said, "Let's do this..." and we double-high fived!

I sorta feel like I'm telling his story without permission, except this site is anonymous - so I can justify it. I'd really welcome any experience you all have had on coming out to someone you were dating. We talked about her potential reaction and how other kids (who can sometimes be so cruel) might react towards her. We also talked about using a little white lie to break up - something like, I'm so busy in school....blah blah. I didn't suggest that because I don't want him to be comfortable and honest about who he is but because I guess I want it to be easier for him. Is that bad? I'll also take any advice on coming out in general in high school. I'm sure that so many of you (even friends of mine) have had to keep it hidden for many years, that really is so sad. I always promised myself from my first pregnancy, that I would always be an unconditional mom who supports her children.

I told him I liked his decision to let folks "figure it out" - which is just so impressive to me. I mentioned that it's not like his brother had to go to people and say "Hi - I think you should know, ... I'm heterosexual" so it shouldn't be any different for him.

God, I hope I'm doing this right. I told him I might make mistakes and to tell me if I do - he said he would. Then he asked if he could point out all the cute male actors we watch and I said, "Pssh yeah!!" I hugged him, I kissed him and told him it was late -"Get to bed" ...

Open to all feedback...thank you for taking the time....

2. Choirboy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think you may have a whole bunch of teenagers on this board asking you to adopt them! Not only did you do this right--you should write a manual. Bravo.

3. bingostring

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    AS ABOVE (with lump in throat) :icon_wink

4. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Welcome to EC, Nothin but love!

I second Choirboy's remarks, you are a terrific mother! It is natural to feel afraid, heck, I'm gay and would still feel apprehensive for my three kids if any one of them came out to me.

He seems remarkably mature for his age, this can only come from a proper upbringing and the trust he has developed with you.

As you read more coming out stories here, you will see that yours is an all too rare case of love, acceptance and understanding.

Well done!

5. Nothin but love

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    I am humbled by your responses...truly, thank you. A big sigh, lots of chills and yep, a little teary - all with a positive note, just knowing I'm on the right track means so much.

6. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm with the others. You're an *awesome* mom and you couldn't have been more perfect in what you said.

One important nugget: If your son tells his girlfriend that he's breaking up because he's gay, he's effectively coming out to her entire school. Even if she *promises* she won't tell anyone, from past experience with others here... it won't last. She'll swear her best girlfriend to secrecy, tell her... and it will be all over school.

If your son's ready for that, then no problem; it's actually one of the easiest ways to come out in school. But he may not be, and he may naively believe that he can tell her and it won't spread. Unfortunately, that sort of gossip spreads like wildfire in high school.

So I'd suggest either using the "I'm just not ready for a relationship" line or "I just want more time for school" or some line like that. But even there... if he hesitates, trips, or otherwise sounds less than convincing... she may figure it out and ask him, and often, kids are perceptive enough to see through the deceptions.

I know this isn't fair or right, but I figure I should let you know up front. I've had the post-mortem conversation with *many* kids his age here, and that's almost always what happens.

In any case, he'll be fine. Kids today are a lot more accepting than even a few years ago, and there will likely be some teasing and hassles, but if he's confident and comfortable in who he is, they will soon accept that, at least in my experience.

And, of course... you may want to invite him here to the community :slight_smile:

7. iHateThinking

Agh, this is a prime example of awesome parenting. I'm sure he's absolutely glad he has a mother like you, because I would.

But yeah, he should be wary of it getting spread. I recall telling just a few people I was interested in girls in the 6th grade and before I knew it, EVERYBODY in my class knew about it. Wasn't a pleasant experience.

Good on him for being confident and proud about who he is, because that's one of the most important things. As long as he's comfortable being him, I think he'll be okay. Just keep being supportive, because (I'd figure) that's often what a lot of LGBT kids feel - they don't have support.

You have a great day.

8. sirenscall

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I think it's absolutely lovely how supportive you're being with your son, it reminds me of how my own mother and father acted and it's so good to see how remarkably mature your son is about this and I really hope it all goes well and wish him the best of luck! (*hug*)

9. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Forget the teenagers I want her to adopt me! xD

10. DrAdam

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I can't think of a more perfect way to go about this - top marks for being an excellent mum!

In sixth form (college in the UK 16-18yrs) I was in a relationship with a girl for a year. In the end I realised what your son realised, that I love her but not in the way she will need me to. I was totally honest with her but I did not explain initially that I was gay. I simply explained that I did not love her in that way any more (as I had finally settled and accepted my homosexuality) and left it at that. Fortunately we were best of friends and over time I felt it was the time to tell her. She was a bit upset about it but after a short period of adjustment and me being honest and patient with her questions she understood and we are still very good friends now.

I hope this anecdote is of some help to you in understanding how your son could go about breaking up with his girlfriend.

Lastly, I would just like to say that your son's attitude is truly commendable and he is a credit to you and your parenting skills, you have every right to be proud of him. I agree with his tactic of letting people 'figure it out' and think that is the perfect approach. Frankly it is no one else's business and like any one else's private life, should be treated as such.

Best wishes,

Adam

11. redneck

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Wow you are like the coolest mom ever. I'm 32 and know my mom is gonna freak when I tell her (if I decide to tell her)

12. LILuke

I can only pray that my parents will be half this accepting.

13. BooksJeansTea

Wow. You're an amazing mom. :slight_smile: I wanted to cry and hug you when I read your story. haha. I look forward to hearing more from you on this site. Stick around!!

14. MtnFr3sh

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    All but family
    First of all :welcome:
    Second of all... WOULD YOU PLEASE ADOPT ME!!! I'm only kidding, but you did things the perfect way, and I believe that after some time, you should write a manual for other parents to follow if their child turns out to be a part of the LGBT community. As the admin Chip could tell you, my mother and I didn't see eye to eye on the whole thing. Okay, completely different levels, I got shouted at, but when I'd say I wanted to go out on a walk to let her cool off, she'd threaten to call the police and say I was a runaway. I just want to hug you and thank you for handling this better than most parents on the face of earth handle things like this.

But anyway, back to your son's problem, while I agree with Chip's idea that his girlfriend might go and tell everybody in school. But, just because some girls are like that and would tell anybody with ears, doesn't mean she would do the same. I am out to a few friends who have been helpful, okay not so much helpful as they are non-deserting. Some have been supporting and even offered to help me find a date (yet to get so lucky) So, you should advise your son of what might happen. It's not a guarantee that she'll blab to anybody, but it's not unheard of either

You should invite your son to this website, though, at first, when you tell him about it, he may be embarrassed that his mom went and found a support website for him, but he should definitely be on here, it's been helpful to me, and I'm getting to where I just may be comfortable in coming out to people at school.

Good luck :slight_smile:

15. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I just want to say how AWESOME of a mother you are! :slight_smile: I'm very glad you were so accepting of your son, and that he was brave enough to tell you. If you want to show your son this site but don't want him to see this post, I think one of the mods or admins could make it anonymous for you. Best of luck to you and your son :slight_smile:

16. Sardonic

You deserve this... :[​IMG]

Sadly, I can only give you this... : [​IMG]

But I can tell you for sure... you got this and your son is a lucky lucky dude! I'm sure he'll love you for the rest of his life, and pass on your awesomeness someday :slight_smile:

17. Jaden

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I realize I'm just echoing what many hear have said, but I wish I had a mom I felt half as comfortable confiding in as your son does confiding in you. Your discussion with your son is more than the best case scenario of a conversation with my mom, it's an impossible ideal.

18. Nothin but love

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Just wrapping up my day and checked the sight. I'm so touched by the outpouring of support you all have taken a moment to show. Thank you. I value everything you all have shared and I very much appreciate the advice on how to address the break up. I'd like to say that I shared it with my son today - but we just went about our afternoon and evening as we might have on any other day...and that's ok. It tells me that he and I are good and that he's in a good place.

I will definitely share this site with him - heck he may even wake me later on :slight_smile: Thanks to you all, I feel a little more grounded - a little more confident in how I can support him and I definitely feel the collective love from you all...thank you. I'm proud to be part of this site and this group.

xo

19. LILuke

Believe me, you deserve each and every ounce of support and praise that has been directed your way. It's hard for a straight person to understand the amount of fear and consternation that most LGBT people go through before coming out - and all too often after all of that they're met with rejection, or with hatred, fear. And even when they are met with acceptance, oftentimes there is a hint of disappointment behind the acceptance - and that's just coming out to our parents.

The fact that you made this process so easy for your son - that he felt so safe and able to come out to you [from the sound of it] without having to go through that long and painful process is one of the most wonderful things I have heard in a long, long time. All of us here who are saying we wish our parents could be like you are not kidding. Though your response might have seemed like the only thing to do in your mind, the reality is that you are the wonderful exception to a bleak and intimidating rule.

I wish you and your son the best of luck in the future. Just keep doing what you're doing, your support is exactly what he needs right now and you're doing a beautiful job. :slight_smile:

20. Ohhai

Amazing! Be my mum, yeah? K thanks :slight_smile: