1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nutrient deficiency lead to depressive feelings?

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by Alexander69, Feb 12, 2013.

1. Alexander69

I've been noticing I've been feeling quite depressed lately :frowning2: idk why I think it has to do with nutrient deficiency could this be possible? I take vitamins but I have head aches a lot and I don't eat a lot could this be why?

---------- Post added 12th Feb 2013 at 12:02 AM ----------

Could stress and lack of sleep do this also?

2. DMack

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight but curious
    Very possible. Lack of eating, lack of sleep, and stress all together will for sure do it.

3. unbreakable

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Stress and lack of sleep definitely lead to some degree of depression.
    Add that to your not eating proper and you've got a recipe for depression.

As for the vitamins and food... vitamin B's (mostly 6 & 12) will lessen your depression. Foods high in VB are beef, spinach, bananas, garlic, salmon, and broccoli... There's more but I can't remember them all off the top of my head. Vitamin D will help too.

If you don't eat much make sure what you eat is healthy and will give you the proper vitamins and nutrients you need. Living off fast food and stuff really isn't good.

4. Alexander69

I eat bananas and spinach every day :/ but it doesn't help I don't eat meat you see :frowning2:

5. PurpleCrab

There's also vitamin D that makes a big difference!

It's usually produced by your own body with exposition to sunlight, but it's also in some milk products. Some people have D deficiency because their metabolism doesn't transform it right anymore even though they get sunlight (that happens in pregnant women for example), some people have D deficiency because, well, they live somewhere they don't get a proper day-night roll like on the north pole, where depression and suicide rates are unbelievably high.

D is a vitamin that builds up in the body and you need to have lacked it for a period of time to feel depressive effects.

6. Fate

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    With depression I also have a Vitamin D deficiency.
    I was prescribed high doses of Vitamin D when some of my blood work came back extremely low...
    Now I take over the counter Vitamin D - but only in the winter really because in the winter there is a lot less sunlight (which i'm sure you know) and I find my depressive moods get a lot worse during this time...

Stress and Lack of Sleep definitely doesn't help- even if u don't have depression or a nutrition problem - symptoms are similar to those of depression. (feeling tired, unable to concentrate, loss of energy)

If you really are concerned you have a Nutrition problem, and it's not getting better with your "home remedies" i would say get some blood work done....

You've mentioned some depressive feelings before, have you talked to a doctor or shrink about these feelings? Are you taking any medications? - you said lately you've been feeling quite depressed - could you maybe describe what symptoms you'r experiencing...

I wouldn't rush into thinking you have a deficiency - we see the symptoms we want to see (if that makes sense)

The head aces could be because your not really eating. I know plenty of ppl who get them if they dont eat for long periods of time or if all they eat are chips...

#6 Fate, Feb 12, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2013
  7. GreenSkies

GreenSkies Guest

It also wouldn't hurt to get your thyroid checked out.

8. photoguy93

Stress and not sleeping properly are big factors here. You need to get on a healthy track with that.

Also, nurtients/vitamins can have an impact on our mental health. I totally recommend Super B Complex - it helped me get through my anxiety. I know it's good for the nervous system.
    For you, I think you're just eating too much of the same thing. Balance out your diet. Get some protein in there (doesn't have to be meat.) Diversify it. I mean, really - Banana's and Spinach - do you honestly think that those 2 will suffice? Just think about it!