1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Num&w/o Motivation to get up/out of bed

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by queermeerkat, Sep 14, 2015.

1. queermeerkat

queermeerkat Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I've had tons happen in my life, got a nasty depressive disorder/anxiety disorder/ptsd out of it. Anyway I'm a full-time college student and some days I wake up and it's like the world is black&white, I'm numb, sad, and have extreme difficulty getting out of bed, even to eat or shower. This has been presenting quite a problem with my studies but I really don't know how to fix it.

2. Linus

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm not entirely sure of your situation, but I would recommend trying to cheer yourself up. Try to plan things into your day, such as clubs of activities. Most colleges have alliance clubs, so you could look to join one of those. In these situations, It might help to increase your social life. When you're at home, I suggest being creative. You could do things you're good at, or enjoy, such as(what I would do) reading, writing, listening to music, drawing, playing games, etc. I don't know what you're into, but I find these activities help to distract the mind, and help it focus on positive aspects.

3. Blue787Bunny

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I assume that you have previously sought treatment because you have mentioned such diagnosis. Have you had continuing treatment? It is apparent that one of your mental conditions is beginning to manifest itself. And the worst part is it is actually beginning to interfere with you activities of daily living. It would be best to address this with your Mental Health Professional.

I understand that you are in University, but health and well-being are top priority. You need to make time for it, you need to seek treatment.

4. DAXIII

I know what you're going through. Most people refer to it as the void. Everything seems gray and blah, and I'm with you on the don't want to get out of bed or eat or bathe. It's rough, and sometimes you wonder why am I even up? The day feels like a struggle. I'm enduring it myself. So far all I can say is hang in there.

5. KaelTail

Hey there! I've responded to a similar thread elsewhere on the forums, so I'll quote my other post here:

If you're dealing depression at the level you described, you should really try to find some professional help to get you through this dark time in your life. I have personally been fighting depression since I was in middle school, and I've had to go to therapists a few times during particularly rough spots. In college I even had to go on anti-depressants temporarily. It can be scary, but depression can be scarier.

Meanwhile, try to keep in mind that a lot of depression comes from chemical reactions in your brain. It can be triggered by the problems in your life, but there's a chain reaction where as you feel worse you start thinking about more things that make you feel bad, and then you feel even worse. It becomes a downward spiral. Try to fight what's going on at a chemical level by doing activities that increase your endorphins. Jogging, working out, taking a walk, finishing a project, watching a comedy and laughing (even if you have to force yourself to laugh, the action of laughing makes the brain release endorphins, which makes it easier to laugh more!), even just getting outside and relaxing in the sun can increase vitamin D and help you feel more at peace. Make sure you get plenty of sleep *at night* and don't sleep in during the day. Make sure you get up and take care of yourself and put on an outfit that makes feel good about yourself. Eat well! Diet can make a huge impact on the chemicals available in your body.

These all sound like little, unrelated things, but think of depression like having a cold, and these activities are the equivalent of taking antibiotics, drinking lots of fluids, and treating symptoms with cough syrup and tylenol. Depression is just as physical of a sickness as any virus. Even if there is a mental reason triggering these feelings of hopelessness, combating the chemical reaction in your brain will keep you strong so you can fight through this tough time and not just survive, but thrive to see a better future.