1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Not-So-Great Coming Out

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by SpitfireXSoarin, May 26, 2013.

1. SpitfireXSoarin

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My parents found a draft coming out letter I made to give to a friend. They had just as bad of a reaction as I had expected. They told me I shouldn't wear female clothes or makeup and said that as long as I live with them there is no chance of transition. They do however let me keep the few clothes I do have but that is about it. I'm not shure if it will get any better but for now they are mostly unaccepting. Sigh~

2. The Dude

Hey I'm really sorry that happened...I'm afraid I don't have any advice for you, but I feel really bad. I hope your parents ease up and let you be you. Hopefully someone can give you some advice, because I don't know how to handle unsupportive parents.

I really wish you the best and I'm sorry things had to happen this way. You have my sympathy. Good luck.

3. Rexmond

It's so unfortunate that it had to happen like that. Why parents cannot be accepting and understanding of their own child I can't understand. If they don't come to terms and at least try and make the effort to show some support, then honestly they aren't worth it.

We're all here for you. (*hug*)

4. SpitfireXSoarin

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I expected it so it wasn't that much of a blow to my feelings. Thanks for the support though you guys!

5. momof3

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I'm sorry they reacted so negatively. I also do not understand why so many parents are unaccepting of their children. It's a parent's job to love their children unconditionally, yet so many parents don't. Do you have a school counselor that you could talk to? If not, an understanding teacher?

6. SpitfireXSoarin

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Not really, all the teachers in my school have openly stated political and religious views before and we don't have a counselor.

7. FemCasanova

I understand that their initial reaction was discouraging to you, but try not to take it as set in stone. If they recently found it, then they haven`t had a lot of time to process this yet. They`ve "raised the defenses" and "rallied their forces" against the fact that something is going on (the way they see it) with their kid, that they don`t understand, and it scares them. Fear often cause people to react aggressively and defensive. So, if I were you I would try to not put too much into this initial reaction, and let them have some time to chew through it. Maybe they`ll manage, maybe they`ve pressed the denial button, but for now it might be best to just not mention it for a while, until they`ve calmed themselves some.

Worst case scenario, you will start your transition fully when you move out and is economically independent. It sucks that you have to put self-development on hold because they aren`t dealing with this well, but unfortunately that`s the way it is sometimes. What you could do, is find some information, either in your local health office, or the internet, and leave it around the house somewhere. Something informative, that they can look into when they feel comfortable enough to do so. You could add a note to it, where you explain that you love them and understand that this was a tough thing for them to swallow, and that all you ask is that they make an attempt to understand what you are going through. Sometimes we gain empathy and understanding, by giving empathy and understanding. It might feel unfair to you, but if it leads to a better relationship with your parents, it`s worth trying, right?

They might come around, they`ll probably at least come around when you move out and they realize that if they don`t accept you, they`ll lose you! But hang on in there, and don`t give up on them.

*hugs*

8. SimpleMan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Very sorry to hear they reacted so negatively SpitfireXSoarin. You should contact the admins and ask them for advice on finding local support for transgender teens. I remember at least one mentioning he would help find local organizations for someone if they would private message their general location to him. Good luck! I hope you find the support you need!

9. SpitfireXSoarin

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'd really rather not be a burden but finding a local LGBT thing is something I'll look into. Thanks for the idea.

10. PurpleRain

Skyrim... I have no life, and enjoy it. :D
    Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey hun! I'm sorry that happened to you... You know you can always talk to me if you need to... (*hug*)