1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NH Gov. To Sign Gay Marriage Bill If It's Changed

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by EM68, May 14, 2009.

1. Martin

Board Member Admin Team Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Can the old bill still be signed if it's no longer on his desk? I read he had sent it back to the senate, but I'm not familiar with what can be done with it once it has been sent back there.

I don't think he will sign it when the house and senate have agreed to negotiate a compromise on the new bill. I imagine he will wait and see what that produces before he makes any final decisions.

2. Swamp56

Swamp56 Guest

Martin, the senate can override the governor if there is enough support. While I don't know the exact laws in New Hampshire, I would think that they would be structured similarly to those of the US Senate.

I don't think his demands are unreasonable actually.

3. Emberstone

I agree, the demands in theory are not silly... truth is, churches as it currently is are not required by law to marry someone. they can deny marriage within the church to any couple they feel doesnt fulfil the churches requirement to be married within the churches wall.

He is doing it to appease fundies who are all "not in my church" and uneducated to the fact that it is already the law that it is church descretion.

4. Nodnarb

The original bill (HB 436) is still in the legislature, waiting for the new bill (HB 73). Once (if) they pass HB 73, it will be sent with HB 436 to be signed by Lynch. As long as the changes aren't too drastic, Lynch will probably sign it. If he vetoes it, there is nowhere near enough support in the NH legislature to override the veto like in Vermont. A failed compromise would kill any hope of marriage equality in NH for this legislative session.

5. Martin

Board Member Admin Team Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    http://www.advocate.com/news_detail_ektid87241.asp

Wednesday it is. They better bloody pass it this time! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

6. Apple Pie

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    This is taking way too long...
    I hope it passes.

7. Just Adam

oh im loseing faith in all this stuff :frowning2: just let it pass

8. EM68

This is like watching paint dry. Just sign the bill!!

9. Just Adam

i hope we dont get screwed :frowning2:

10. Geist

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I just read up on the revisions to be made and while the part about allowing churches to decide who they want to marry is fine. After all, who would want to be married in a church where they wouldn't be accepted. However the part that allows churches to be able to discriminate as an employer is sad, and honestly just plain wrong.

Separation of church and state is great, but when it comes to employment they still have to follow the law. But i guess it is better than nothing

11. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't think they should have the decision especially if certain people's cities have only like one or two types of churches in their city. it would mean the couples would have to go out of town to get married which would be unfair. However...if it's what will pass the bill then I think so be it.

12. BitterEdge

BitterEdge Guest

I think it will pass and New Hampshire will become the 6th state to legalize same-sex marriage, hopefully it won't be the last one this year.