1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New to site and need some help

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by awesomedude020, Oct 4, 2014.

1. awesomedude020

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hello i need some help coming out to my friends. They are very supportive of the LGBT community but the school that i go to isn't so accepting. Im not talking about the teachers its the students. My main concern is that something will slip and everyone will find out. If you could give me some advice that would be great.

2. tyuiop97

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hi there! Welcome to EmptyClosets! You don't seem to have your age or your out status so I'll assume you're in high school and not out at all. My advice to you is, start with one or two of your closest friends that you know you can trust. That way, you can be pretty sure nothing will leak and you will also get it off your chest. From there you can choose your own path. You can continue telling people one by one, or if you feel that you're up for it, you can come out to all of your friends!

Of course, that's just the simplified version. Safety comes first when you come out. If you yourself are not ready, or your health and well-being are put at risk by coming out, wait. There is absolutely no shame in waiting for a better time to tell people. That also includes your parents. If you feel they will take it badly, wait until you're financially independent. I hope all goes well. Good luck :slight_smile:

3. ajsivy

i have to agree tell your closest friends first. or if your like me and have been picked on your whole life just say fuck them and tell anyone how cares to ask. And im sorry about your school some people are just homophobic and sadly that cant be changed

4. Anonymous777

Anonymous777 Guest

I haven't come out yet, so I can't be very helpful. But if you want to talk to somebody, do not hesitate to contact me.

Maybe you could start telling your closest friends. That would be easier and they would probably be more supporting.

5. C06122014

C06122014 Guest

Hey and welcome to EC :slight_smile: I hope you enjoy your time here and that you're able to make new friends who will both advise and support you in your efforts. I hope that I am somehow able to help you :slight_smile: well if you ever need to chat, feel free to post in my wall :slight_smile: good luck and again, welcome to EC :slight_smile:

6. awesomedude020

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Thank all of you who have responded to my message. It truly means alot and has greatly boosted my confidence, and courage. (&&&)

7. ChameleonSoul

Wow, you sound like you're in the same boat that I was/still am in. The best people to come out to first, in most cases at least, is your closest friends. They typically will be the most accepting people and will treat you as if nothing ever changed. It'd also be a good idea, if you feel comfortable about it, to tell a teacher that you trust, as they'll be able to have a huge pull in cases where you are being harassed in the event that you are ever outed.

Welcome to EC though. If you have any questions or just need someone to talk to, just post a message to me or anyone else on their wall. (*hug*)

8. awesomedude020

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    thank you for the advice i will make sure to talk to you if i need any help