1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Study Shows Alarming Drug Use Among LGB Teens

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by tehnathan, Mar 27, 2008.

1. Mick

Mick Guest

What the hell kinda study is that? Yeah I did some marijuana smoking from like 18-21, but I stopped and I never do drugs anymore.

2. ColdSnap

woo, i'm a statistic >_>

3. badwolf104

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I have done all kinds of drugs, and none of it has anything to do with me being gay.

It was all curiosity, and eventually, apathy. Yes it was depression that caused the apathy, but I am very lucky in that I have had very little troubles being gay, considering where I am located. People are open and accepting to me.

4. silas99

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Many academic studies are reported with a bias slant in the media unfortunately. What makes it worse is that people do not tend to read the actual studies and so are influenced in their opinions by what they read in the newspaper/magazines/tv.

Although the article is very badly written, I think it is important to highlight the increased risk LGBTQ have of substance abuse, because we should be targeting the cause of this....depression/abuse/bullying/discrimination.

5. Gumtree

Yes I would definitely believe it.

To the 20+ year olds posting remember that I don't think this article included your age group.

There are also studies that show G/B/L teens are much more likely to be homeless during their youth.

And most of it is true, just like the drugs. When life throws you lemons, you make lemonade. When life throws you TOO MANY lemons, you make lemon vodka.

When thinking about you and your friends that don't use drugs try to think about the difference in the people that would to your friends.

If you know openly gay/bi/lesbian youth that are lucky enough to have friends then chances are that yes, most of these people wont be drug users; they havn't got the same motivation.

The kind of teens these studies probably reveal are the ones that are completely closeted until later on in life, kicked out of home or victims of great descrimination. The ones that you don't hear about.

6. Sugar

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Very believable, in montreal there are also a lot of LGBT kids on the street because they have no home to go to :frowning2:

I abused drugs/alcohol since the age of 12. I have been 95% sober for a year now. Excluding the occasional beer and 2-3 joints this year. Compared to my 3 times a day smoking and drinking 5 days out of 7 :slight_smile: pretty nice improv. lol Still have to work on my potentially addictive personality and the effect that drugs has had on my emotional maturity!

moral of the story: Don`t do drugs. :slight_smile:

7. Pendrin2020

My question is whether this is a localized or national study.

From my perspective, here in Tennessee. A large number (perhaps not the LARGER number) of gay men are holed up in the closet and drinking or drugging themselves to death. I was one of them, I was terrified of being different. This is a state where "Fagot" is in the dictionary. The bus ride home is an assault ground. Punches are relatively unheard of, but being openly ridiculed by a dozen students at a time is almost the law. I was the world's emotional punching bag. Every time I saw someone come out and suffer like that, I crawled a little deeper inside of myself and hid.

Now for every person making fun of you there is someone being silent who disagrees and will tell you that afterward but it didn't do much for the wounds.

i'm one of the people who crashed and burned and hit ROCK- bottom at 19. I've been completely sober for 19 months now and I'm really starting to learn some things about how Addiction actually works, not what I thought I knew about "moderation".

If you want to know more about addiction/alcoholism, what it REALLY IS, go to some 12 step meetings, and listen to what the people say and read what they tell you to read.

If you don't trust them, just remember, telling you the whole truth and nothing but the truth about THEIR EXPERIENCE is what keeps them alive. It's what keeps me alive and sober.

The people I meet at twelve step meetings are amazing. they'll love you until you can love yourself.

THERE ARE A LOT OF PEOPLE STILL IN CLOSET. gotta numb the pain somehow.

Pendrin

#27 Pendrin2020, Dec 21, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2008
  8. Bryan

This makes alot of sense. Many GLBT teens become depressed due to situational issues (I'd be one of those) and alot don't see help for it (Thank God... Not me) and turn to drugs for it.

9. Adam

I smoke weed, usually just because I want too, but sometimes I do because of the stress due to being gay so yeah, also smoke cigs more due to that also.

10. TheRoof

i know i'm not supposed to use drugs, but sometimes i'm like what the hell i wanna try once and see what it's like

11. Sugar

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don`t think there is anything wrong with curiousity and experimentation. But you need to be aware that drugs have a strong potential for addiction; even if you don`t make it a habit or abuse of them. You should do lot`s of research and be aware before trying new things.

12. Dazed

Dazed Guest

i dont think it has too much to do with if we are gay or not.
    a larger amount of teens straight or not are going to try drugs.

my friends all smoke.
    everyone said "oh, pot wont mess up your life"
    but sadly my 3 closest friends do nothing all day. 2 of them didnt finish high school and the other dropped out of college because he couldnt "wake and bake" anymore.
    ive smoked. i hate all i feel is stupid.

i do drink at parties though.

13. Janvier

My straight friends do way more drugs than I'll ever do.
    And it's more to do with the hard partying than sexuality, gotta stay up. (!)
    Joints are rapidly replacing cigarettes here too, it's crazy. I only know one other gay guy that smokes as much as I do.