1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New sections?

Discussion in 'Empty Closets Help and Feedback' started by Paul_UK, Jun 23, 2006.

1. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

We are thinking about adding a couple of extra sections here, and are wondering what everyone thinks would be useful. We have been looking at subject areas that are discussed regularly in other sections as these are obviously popular subjects already. So one idea is an "Entertainment Discusions" area for movies, TV, music, gaming, books etc.

Does anyone have any ideas? Either for things that we already discuss elsewhere, or for new areas (perhaps things you have seen and like at other forums). It just needs to be something that other people here are likely to enjoy too.

2. Proud1p4

Proud1p4 Guest

Well i had an idea a while back but it got turned down but ill post the link again anyway: http://emptyclosets.com/forum/showthread.php?t=476 but i may or may not be the only one who keeps up with such topics lol. But maybe if there was a thread to it or if ppl started to post about it then they too might try and keep up with such current events?

Some other ideas just off the top of my head:

-Sexual Health & Wellbeing
    -Religion/Spirituality
    -Straights (for those odd few who may come here to help a friend etc. you dont want them to feel unwelcome cuz i doubt they want to go into "chit-chat for gay guys and girls)

#2 Proud1p4, Jun 23, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 23, 2006
  3. Micah

Proud, I really like your ideas. One query I have though is whether or not they are too "narrow". For instance, at the moment, there arent that many posts here on EC relating *directly* Religion etc. So one concern would be the created forum would be rather empty. I like the concept though, and I believe it would work if/when EC attracts a larger amount of members.

That being said, I do like the idea of sexual Health, since the forum itself would spark discussions and encourage others to talk about "that sort of stuff".

Also, we're currently discussing changes to the Chit Chat sub text, as was suggested by you, to be more inviting than just "gay guys and girls". I think creating a Straight exclusive forum would isolate them from the rest of the discussion, which they are most certainly welcome to take part in. :slight_smile:

4. chrisg

I think that keeping most things in the Chit Chat forum would be beneficial because having very specific forums or subforums tends to create "dead space."

5. hakeem_uk

hakeem_uk Guest

i think thats true too because in other forums they have alot of different bits and no one has really posted anything

6. Micah

Chrisg and Hakeem: that's exactly the reason why we haven't created sub forums to date. However, as you know, there's been a lot of "favorite movie" or "gay books" threads, and we thought it would be neat to add in a new forum for such discussion. Right now, name ideas for this sort of forum are "Entertainment Chat" or "Books, Movies and Gaming".

Can you guys think of a better name for an entertainment chat forum?

7. hakeem_uk

hakeem_uk Guest

funny area?
    lol

8. hakeem_uk

hakeem_uk Guest

what about Sexual Health like what proud 2b gay said they have them in other forums that i have seen

9. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

The Entertainment section will definitely be added. I think a general name like "Entertainment Chat" would be good, as that covers a whole range of stuff and I can add a description below the title.

I like the idea of having a health section (not just sexual health matters, but any health issues) too. We'd really need to try to find an expert (such as a doctor) to pop in periodically to keep an eye on it - but I can think of a couple of people we could ask.

Fun and Games? For things like the three word story and any other word-type games people can think of, as well as jokes and other fun stuff? I'm not too sure since the three word story hasn't gone very far....

10. Proud1p4

Proud1p4 Guest

Yeah i get what you're saying.. was just an idea:slight_smile:.. ive seen alot of dicussion amongst me and my gay/trans/bi/lesbian etc. friends about homo/bi/trans/sexuality and how it mixes with religions and thought that maybe ppl would have the same dicussions here.. not only about the mixing of the two but also current politics of religion (yeah thats where i lost most ppl, "politics"...whoot *sarcasim*) even when not relating to sexualities.. but honestly i havent seen much or even any of these threads started in this forum.. so its understandible why it would be empty.. no hard feelings:grin:

Yeah i can see how that would happen but i thought that most straights would be intimidated to go under our current chit chat forum. but hey its up to you guys how and how not to run this place haha.. again no hard feelings :slight_smile:

11. hakeem_uk

hakeem_uk Guest

so Paul have u thought of what u are going?

12. hakeem_uk

hakeem_uk Guest

to do

sorry about that

13. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

I am definitely going to add an Entertainment section - that will be done within the next half hour.

I think the other main ideas have been a health section and a fun-and-games section, but I'm waiting for a few more comments on those.

14. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

That's done. User titles next..... :slight_smile:

15. Proud1p4

Proud1p4 Guest

Yay! (here's some more stuff cuz it says "yay" is too short to be a post:grin: blah blah blah blah)

16. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

Not any more - I have just reduced the minimum post length to 3 characters for you! :slight_smile:

I have also changed the smilies that appear in the little group to the right of the message editor to hopefully the more useful and fun ones, and increased the group size from 15 to 21. The full collection are all still available from the [More] link.

17. hakeem_uk

hakeem_uk Guest

wow that great!:slight_smile:

18. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

I have now found a doctor, BenF46, who has kindly offered to help with a health section, so I have just added that section. I hope you find it useful. Please read the sticky "Information" thread before posting.

19. Proud1p4

Proud1p4 Guest

Whoot for the new "Health and Wellbeing" sub-forum. Hopefully it'll be used from time-to-time. Oh, and for the new 20 smilies instead of 15. And for the minimum message character being lowered to 3. All i have to say to that is....