1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Job

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Justmeisenough, Apr 24, 2022.

1. Justmeisenough

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    So I officially started a 3rd job in marketing a brand virtually. I was recently diagnosed with generalized anxiety disorder so its not the best combination because I didn't know I would be talk so much especially to strangers and doing hour long presentations. This job comes with certificates, scholarships, paid vacations by the company, fun challenges, easy promotions and you manage you own schedule but my anxiety says it's a no. My anxiety causes me to hyperventilate so much and this is only day 2. My therapist said it's a good way to talk to people and deal with anxiety but it's hard. Am I being too much?

2. Momjeans15

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hi! I see this post is about a month old but better late to comment then never, right?
    I was also diagnosed with generalized anxiety fairly recently, and am experiencing a lot of the same things you are, both at work and in my personal home life. I honestly don't have much advice to offer in terms of managing anxiety, because I can barely manage my own. But I will say that it helps to know others have/are experiencing the same thing, and I am definitely one of those people who understands. I also think you'd be surprised how many people actually share in our experiences! I wish I had something better to say to ease your worries, but all I can do as a fellow anxious person is stand with you in solidarity. Hope everything with your job works out, you can do this!

3. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I was very quiet when I first started my new job because my anxiety was so bad. As time went on though, I started to become more comfortable. For me, learning the job duties and getting to know my coworkers helped a lot. When I felt overwhelmed I would stop and take a deep breath. Taking thar step back for a couple of seconds can be really helpful.

Justmeisenough and Rayland like this.
  4. Rayland

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Gaining work experience is what makes you feel more confident later. You can learn by just doing and don't afraid to ask, if you don't understand something. I agree with your therapist. I was very shy, when I was younger, but overcame it by just trying to talk to people. I also have high functioning anxiety. You're not being too much. It's perfectly normal to think about these things. Hopefully you update us on how you're doing.

5. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi there, I wonder if you could say more about the job, requirements and the expectations over time? It would be good to have a wider context.

There is a reason why your therapist suggested what they did. If your therapist thought it would be a good way to engage with people and become more comfortable in doing so and use it to overcome anxiety over time, that should be okay then.

Justmeisenough likes this.