1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New gender + sexuality drop-down list options on EC?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by EverDeer, Jun 14, 2017.

1. EverDeer

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Okay, I'm not sure if a thread has already been made about this or not, but one of the things I used to like most about this forum was the fact that the personal info section didn't feature drop-down lists for gender (and sexuality) like most pre-made format forums do, but now it seems with the new updates they've removed this option and changed them to drop-down lists which only feature a small selection of options.

Moreso I think what I specifically mean is the fact that the only non-binary gender options are genderqueer and androgyne (and other, but again this option lacks the ability to type in an option as well). Genderqueer is a good, overarching label, but some people (like me) feel that it's too politically charged to identify with, I at least feel that non-binary should be included on this list as well if they were simply wanting to keep it as broad as possible. Honestly, I've seen a lot more bigender and genderfluid people around here than androgyne identifying folk, which is the other non-binary option, and I feel these two categories are still broader and more well populated than androgyne, which is quite a specific label that can be included in non-binary. I suppose the only other one left that that point is then agender, which is having no gender completely and still seems like it could serve as a well overarching option as opposed to just other. Also, perhaps intersex could be a good addition as well? (might only be an identifier by choice... but, it doesn't really fit in with the "assigned gender at birth" category either, which I'll get to in a second)

Don't get me wrong, I can see why they did this for simplicity sake. Also, in the past I did end up noticing some threads getting ignored or taken the wrong direction because someone was making assumptions or didn't feel they could fully connect with someone based on the nuance of their personal identification, and this forum is all about connecting with others, being accepting, and keeping the information as open as possible so that many different perspectives can be taken in in order to share advice and experiences. Labels are important but you don't want them to clutter, either. I can see this thought process as potentially being why they added the new section for your assigned-gender-at-birth as well. However, this also troubles me because it makes me worry that, as a nonbinary person, the first thing someone is going to do in order to judge someplace to put me (since, I can't include all my life details and experiences in every thread, though in personal ones when asking for advice I try to cover as much ground as possible in terms of where I'm coming from / how I'm being perceived publicly as well) is by looking at my AGAB. This could also potentially apply for intersex people as well I'd imagine in some cases.

Another little quick note, it seems the only real overarching sexuality identifier other than gay/lesbian/straight/questioning is bisexual, and I know pansexual to be a hugely identified label that is also often used to differentiate from bisexual, simply because it is broader, and if anything bisexual is really just a more specific category within pansexuality, which is why is also seems like it should at least be another one of the options as well. Also, asexuality seems to have been left out which, I know I've seen quite a few regular people on here who identify as such and feel that could be important to differentiate as well.

Just some thoughts! Let me know what you think about this, or if there was already a thread started on this matter.

2. Crisalide

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I think you're right.
    The post "Welcome to EC 2.0" in "Chit chat" is often visited by admins: I'd try to post there a link of this post (what a mess of words xD).

EverDeer likes this.
  3. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This is something staff is considering. We're focused on functional issues first and this is a bit further down but will be addressed at some point in coming weeks.

EverDeer likes this.
  4. Zoe Izumi

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I don't like the dropdown lists either. My sexuality is not "other" it's Demisexual/Panromantic.
    Also, I feel the "out status" one is seriously lacking since I'm out to "family & friends, and fully out online.

5. BrookeVL

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I did prefer the ability to enter my own option, if I didn't line up with the given ones. I know at least one YouTuber I watch, for instance is Agender/Trans-feminine. And my orientation is somewhere closer to pansexul than bisexual.

6. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Right now, it is a limitation of the software. I know that it is something that is being looked into. We wanted to launch the sote as soon as possible. So it may come later. For what it is worth it annoys me too.

#6 BradThePug, Jun 14, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2017
    BrookeVL and EverDeer like this.
  7. Crisalide

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    In the while, we could write those info in the bio section... :/

8. Sebby45

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I, too, liked the customization feature of the old EC. Can't wait for it to be brought back!

9. Nike007

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I do like the customization of the last one. I would like custom pronouns, as I prefer to use Niko/Niko's. And another thing. The out status should be customizable as I'm out as my sexuality to all but family but only 2 relating to gender so...

But other than that, I guess I'm a lucky case where my gender and sexuality are both drop down options.