1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need Assistance

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by johndeere3020, Nov 29, 2023.

1. johndeere3020

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Does anyone have any experience with searching for "work from home" jobs in the United States? Is there a special way to search Indeed, or another site that would be better for a disabled person to utilize?

I recently came to the conclusion that I am probably not BI, but just gay and if I ever want the option to live more authentic, I I need to either navigate the SSDI route or see if there is some kind of job out there for me.

Was a building Chief Engineer for most of my life.

Just feel old and somewhat lost at the moment, so if anyone has any ideas or words of encouragement, I'm all ears.

Thanks
    D

2. PrettyBoyBlue

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hi D,

I'm really sorry to hear about your work environment. Work can be hard enough without anti-gay attitudes being involved.

Regarding your job questions, LinkedIn lets you filter your search for either remote, in-person, or both. I'm not as familiar with the other sites (I've never had any luck with Indeed or Glassdoor, and I have a personal suspicion a lot of these other sites are just mining for data.)

In my limited knowledge of the Americans With Disabilities Act, if you are able to do a certain job, but you need certain accommodations to do so, then the employer legally HAS TO provide them, after you are hired. Also, they are not allowed to ask you about disability status in an interview. Not sure how easily this works out in practice though.

If you go on SSDI, even full disability, you can actually still work and make up to a certain amount to supplement your full benefit. (The government will also gleefully tell you about this haha -- they want people working) I would touch base with a counselor or someone involved with this so that you don't go over that limit.

Words of encouragement? I know this is a new chapter for you, but I have no doubt you can make the most of it! I've worked with several wonderful folks who were disabled, they have really bright careers... better than mine! I have family on disability who are very active (and working part-time too... it seems to be a good balance with SSDI support.) I was dating a lovely gentleman last year who was on disability... There's a whole life waiting for you out there. I think you'll find your way soon enough!!

All my best,
    PBB

3. johndeere3020

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    PBB, Thank You!