1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Name and pronouns on school uni reference

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by harryfinn, Sep 15, 2017.

1. harryfinn

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I'm in my final year of high school which means I'm currently applying for university. In the UK there's a system where teachers write a reference about students, for the universities. I'm out to the teachers who will be writing my reference and have asked them to use my preferred name and pronouns on it, and explain that I'm trans. On my official uni application, however, I'm not out and use my birthname.

I'm worried that being out on my reference (which only the unis see) will result in mail coming to my house which outs me to my parents (I can't come out to them safely right now). Has anyone been in a similar position and have any ideas about whether being out on my reference is too risky? Thank you.

2. Cody18

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    On the UCAS applications, which are typically used to apply to universities in the UK it states that you may give a preferred name, where you can enter whatever you want. The application also specifies gender not sex so I assume you can select what option you wish in that regard too.

Edit: Just checked and you're from the UK, the whole "high school" thing threw me off. However what I said above still stands, but because you're in the UK and they like to keep track of the kinds of students attending university, the application will actually ask if you identify as transgender. This is not actually seen by universities themselves but just thought I'd mention it as I found it quite cool when I saw it on there.

#2 Cody18, Sep 15, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2017
    Secrets5 and harryfinn like this.
  3. Skibby1989

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Wrong thread - ignore.

#3 Skibby1989, Sep 15, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2017
  4. harryfinn

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Thanks for your advice! I don't want to put my preferred name and gender on UCAS because I know that that will result in mail being addressed to that name and outing me. Thank you though :slight_smile: