1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My Story *Possible Trigger Warning*

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by jesshellon, Jun 29, 2015.

1. jesshellon

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Hello everyone, just before you read on I'd like to give you a trigger warning for self harm references. If you think this will trigger you, please click away.

My Coming Out Story:
    So, I am a bisexual female and I came out last year to a few of my friends and they were completely fine with it as expected. I then told my sister earlier this year when I started seeing a girl, and she was fine with it, as my brother is gay himself. I obviously then told him, too.
    I was kind of afraid of telling my mum because I didn't think she'd believe me. I'd never really talked about girls before even though I'd always felt these feelings for them, and I always knew I was attracted to them. During this time, I was self-harming and my mum knew that and so did the rest of my family. I broke up with my girlfriend because it wasn't working out although we were both deeply in love (it was long-distance). I was obviously really upset, and I foolishly relapsed after being clean for a few weeks. I did this while my mum was in the next room, and when she came in my room, she found tissue covered in blood, and obviously questioned me as to why I relapsed. She was really upset and mad at me, and my sister was also there and knew I had split with my girlfriend. My mum was getting angrier because I refused to tell her what happened, and eventually my sister told me to tell her.

When I said "I'm bisexual", my mum didn't acknowledge it at all really. She just said I shouldn't be in a relationship because I wasn't mentally there at the time. It really sucked, and although she's fine now, it was a really bad coming out but I thought I'd share my experience with you.

2. alli o

alli o Guest

thank you for sharing your experience I am sorry it had to happen like that but I am glad she knows if you ever need to talk I am there for you

3. alilnervous

That is terrible, I'm so sorry you had to go through all that. It always hard to hear someone invalidate who you are, especially when you are going through a break up and when its your mum. We're all here to support you through this tough stuff. I would like to ask though, are you thinking of hurting yourself anymore tonight? I am worried by reading your post and want to make sure you are in an okay head space right now.