1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

my son is gay but hasnt told me

Discussion in 'For Parents and Family Members of LGBT People' started by shalor, Oct 18, 2015.

1. europeanguy

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Family only

awww thanks :icon_redf but since im in this perspective feel free to ask anything you feel you need to as im probably a really good person to ask about it :slight_smile: (since the situation is so similar)

2. SoCalGal

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Europeanguy
    Not even sure I'm doing this right, so, sorry in advance

Hi Europeanguy
    I'm new to this website. I saw your response to Shalor, which wanted me to contact you. I hope you don't mind.

My son is also 18 and dealing with depression and anxiety. I found out about him being gay, almost a year ago, which was a shock.
    I'm very supportive and don't say negative things to him at all.
    He has a couple girl friends that know and myself but that's it.
    I don't feel that it's best to tell the rest of the family at the moment.
    His dad also says or makes occasional homophobic comments.

I just want to hear from you about your feelings and I want to try to understand what drives the depression, other than the obvious. My son says everyone who's gay is pretty much depressed.

I think he fears the unknown, never finding anyone to love and be with, which totally breaks my heart.

If you don't want to respond, I will understand... I just wanted to chat with someone that's his age and that possibly has the same fears or knows what he's going through.

I want him to be happy again and know that life has great thing awaiting him, gay or not.

Thanks
    SoCalGal

3. Secrets5

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hello,

Could I just politely ask you this, would you expect your son to tell you that he's straight [heterosexual]?

I'm almost 18, and to be honest, personally can't be bothered to tell my parent's my sexuality. I know every new adult is different, but I think this is in general.

#23 Secrets5, Dec 12, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2015
  4. europeanguy

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Family only
    hello SoCalGal, if you want a more direct message to me you can always post on my wall on my profile, which is done by clicking my username and viewing my public profile.

to answer your question, what drives it can be a few things, the first thing is that of being alone as i dont know anyone else where i live who is also gay so im unable to really connect with anyone, the second thing is that as a gay person ive felt that ive let down the human race, unable to give my parents the grandchildren they want. As far as advice goes, finding other gay people would probably help with the depression side of it

5. europeanguy

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Family only
    or you can private message me by clicking my username and clicking send private message

6. Willa

Maybe get his sister to suggest it.