1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My New Living Place

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Nike007, Jul 27, 2017.

1. Nike007

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    So I'm off to university in about a month's time, and I am really excited, as I plan on using the name I have wanted for some time now (Niko). And I can order my binder(s) without worrying about people finding out.

But the problem now is that the place I'm living at has living spaces for people of the same sex. Now, if I got into my place at the university instead, they are LGBTQ+ friendly, and have it that all residences are all genders, but you can request to be with your own gender if that is what you prefer. I didn't, so this is my situation.

So I don't know what to do about it, if anything. I am scared of things being awkward when I bind or my roommate sees my name as Nicole, as I have to use my legal name to get the room, and I said it was allowed for them to give my contact info to my roommate once I was assigned one. Should I just say it's a nickname? I don't want them to say they like Nicole better and call me that. Or what happens if this person is against LGBTQ+ rights? I mean, I am in Canada, but there are still people here who are against this. I just want a change and want to be me instead of this shell.

Any advice?

-Niko