1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My mom can't say the L word

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by NallaV, Aug 29, 2017.

1. NallaV

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I came out to my mom about a week ago and she has said comments that makes me feel like she is still having trouble accepting the news. She has made comments like "you should go to couples therapy before getting a divorse" , "i'll call a girl over for your husband and make sure she is not bi" , "you don't show any signs of being gay" , "don't say the L word, I know what you mean" , and "when he gets a girlfriend you are going to regret this" . I feel like she is not taking me comming out seriously because I have never shown her signs that I was gay before now. Should I talk to her about this upsetting me or take it as she is going through the grieving stages of a child comming out and she will get to a more supportive place with time?

2. Really

It's still early days for her and she will certainly need a bit of time to get used this news about you but I don't think there's anything wrong with you telling her it's ok that she needs time but if she could ease up on the non-supportive comments, that would be great. You could also give her the opportunity to ask questions, also without getting rude or negative in some way about you.

There's a very good video with Dan Savage called Coming out to parents. Look it up and see if it gives you any ideas. (Sorry, I'm too lazy to find the link. :wink:)

3. NallaV

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thank you!

4. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey I totally agree with Really, it can take people a while to come to terms with news like this, I know it doesn't help you but I am sure she will come around. Often parents have to go through the stages of grief before they finding accept it.

5. rosssanti

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Family only
    Yes, she just need more time for that so don't be upset everything will be ok