1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My Girlfriend hasn't come out.

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Lozzastitch, Jan 20, 2014.

1. Lozzastitch

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    My girlfriend and i have been watching the "The Real L Word" which has her thinking about Lesbian networks and coming out. She hasn't come out to anyone, she doesn't introduce me to anyone as her girlfriend. My coming out was a little different. I forced my family to just accept who i was dating regardless of gender. Some of them know and other don't. But My girl's family is very Christian, She's leads a double life and i don't know what to tell her to help the situation.

Her mum came and stayed with us over the christmas break and she had all the courage and opportunities to tell her and she wanted to but just when she was about to tell her, she backed out she couldn't do it. We didn't exactly hide a whole from her over christmas. But she wants to be the one to tell her. I said i will always support her and be there for her. But i just need some advice to calm her nerves.

2. katwat

My daughter is only 12 but the thought of someday telling extended family still has my stomach tied in knots because not only are a lot of them very conservative and religious but also very openly anti-LGBT. We have told her that it is not WHEN but IF she wants to and whenever she does it we will fully support her. We have also let her know that there are some people who might not say anything to her but later say stuff ABOUT her. We have let her know that their are some who will almost definitely say some evil stuff right to her face. I feel like my daughter's life, her sexuality, is her story to tell her way when she is ready. I will support her if she choses to tell anyone or not.

I'm sure it is much harder for you and your girlfriend as you are obviously adults in a relationship. The fact that you are supporting her and letting her do this in her own way and own time has to be a help. It might be naive of me but I think surrounding her with love and being a safe outlet for her to vent her fears and concerns would be the best help you could provide.

I wish you both well.

3. Lozzastitch

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thank you for your kind words. I do hope that one day it will be easy. I love her with all my heart and i can't live without her.

4. ChloeKiss

ChloeKiss Guest

You sound like the most beautiful mother on earth! Your daughter is very lucky to have you! It just warms my heart when I read things like this :slight_smile:

To answer this question.. You can't really do much besides encourage and support your girlfriend. I know it's a hard thing to have to witness but your girlfriend just needs time. I'm sure she's had lots of time.. But for some people it takes years to have the courage to tell their family they are gay. You sound like a lovely girlfriend.. Your love and support is all your girlfriend needs. She will find her way in her own time.

#4 ChloeKiss, Jan 21, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2014