1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My Girlfriend believes every post is about her.....it's driving me crazy

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by ajw347, Dec 18, 2018.

1. ajw347

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm not a big FB person to begin with, but I do go on when I'm board which is often at work. Ever since I met my girlfriend 6 months ago there has been some kind of facebook drama. She also had broken up with some friends around that time too, that's where the drama comes in. Anybody that she has a conflict with and then see a post that could vaguely imply something about such conflict she thinks it's directed at her. She just did it to me about a memory post her mom just put up. I think she reads too much into what people are posting and cares too much about it. She's also paranoid, if she finds out that her ex-friends where hanging out with someone she talks to on occasion, she is convinced that they are talking about her. It's driving me crazy but if I bring up therapy she gets very upset and offended. (side note: I go to therapy and she knows this and I don't know why she get offended when I suggest it to her) It's driving me crazy and one of the biggest things I don't like about her. Any advice out there besides ignoring it, because she will want to talk about such post and drama and ask what I'm thinking. Then I feel like I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place because I know my honest answer will upset her.

2. konigsberg

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It really sounds like she has some type of anxiety to be responding like that.

I think the best thing to do is be honest about it, even if it hurts: Express concern for her mental health and wellbeing, maybe ask her to take a break from social media for a while to see if she feels better (I have no doubt she will) and tell her how it's making you feel.

The only thing is, speaking from experience, the anxiety might increase for a period while she's away from social media (because her mind will be going through all the possible things that might be going on while she's offline). Finding some ways to distract her/take up the time she would usually be spending on social media will help, too.

For me, I use mindless phone games to distract me when the anxiety gets bad or I knit something simple enough I can just space out while doing it. It also helps to have my partner around to distract me.

I hope it all works out. Good luck.

ajw347 likes this.