1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My generation has grown up so much.

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by 50ishandout, Oct 17, 2015.

1. 50ishandout

I'm 51, I Came Out this year. Did a Facebook Outing and the response was unbelievable. People that I've known all my life have been so supportive. The same people that when we were younger would not have been so accepting.

That got me thinking about all the younger people on EC that talk about the support and love they get from there parents who I assume are around my age.

I think that as we've gotten older and we're able to see and understand that being Gay is not something we choose, rather it is what we are for what ever reason my generation realized being Gay was nothing to fear.

The Aids outbreak of the 80'season and 90's depicted Homosexuality in a negative light. However the Equality Campaign of the 2000'season showed that Gays were no different than anyone else.

So for all you young folks out there questioning and thinking that your parents will hate and reject you they won't. They will love you for who you are.

Archie Bunker is long gone.

If you know who Archie Bunker is you'll understand the reference.

2. Melissa

What a nice message. :slight_smile: Congrats on a positive coming out! Yes, my parents are both 59 and are much more supportive now then they were a few years ago. Sometimes my dad slips up, but he is usually quick to apologize.

3. TheBiBoy

TheBiBoy Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    A great piece of advice there handout.My dad knows I'm bi because my brother told him but h doesn't know that I know he knows that I am bi. He wants me to 'officially' come out.I say officially because it was my brother that told him so it wasn't me coming out.I am finding it hard to start the conversation with him. So glad all your friends were accepting of you.I don't want to tell my friends because they are always saying stuff against bisexuals and homosexuals and some if my make and female friends are my crushes:slight_smile:

Congrats and good luck,
    TheBiBoy

4. BiPenguin

Good to hear. :slight_smile:

5. 50ishandout

Melissa slip ups will happen, it's if it's meant with malice then we hurt. My friends down the garage sometimes slip and they will always apologize.

Bi boy talk with dad. Up the rebels.