1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My gaydar is useless...

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by ak7409, Jul 5, 2015.

1. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yes it does.

2. warthog

Aside from the topic of the existence of the gaydar, which in my opinion does, you should not really rely on it. I knew about friends who didn't even know themselves, and I could really pick up right away. I think the gaydar is a sort of social gift, you either have it or you don't. I'm an empath so I pick up on a lot of things, and it's my curse.
    But as you pointed out this is useless if the person you detected does not actually know or admit that he is gay, and therefore you cannot use this basic hunch to form a relationship. it's not really in the stereotypical behaviour, or voice, or having more girls as friends. it's something more primal, in the movement of the limbs, in the eyes, i'll even say smell. also, you can have a lot of supporting clues to infer that someone may be gay, for example his interest in girls, or lack thereof . if he's totally checking out dudes then yeh he's gay obviously.
    In the end, you must do this the manual way, and just ask. it's the only way to form human relationships, through dialog and typical social interactions, and I wouldn't bother myself with guessing. it's just torture.

3. DAXIII

I still don't think there is such a thing as gaydar.

4. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Well there is.

5. DAXIII

Prove it.

6. CodeForLife

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I'd be interested to know more about this too. I'm 25 and have not come out. I don't plan to anytime soon, but it has been helpful to read about others' experiences coming out to their family.

@thatlonelyguy, nice! ..but you forgot the **PLONK!**

7. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Wanna switch bodies for a day and go to the mall? I think your gaydar doesn't work but I have an outstanding gaydar. Here take this test Gaydar Test. I got a 68% on it.

8. DAXIII

68% is far from outstanding, that's at least 30% room for error which is statistically significant. I got 60% which is about average for gays according to the data. As such, it's clearly not worth squat. Also the test was based only on pictures, which would have made room for a few who scored over that based on pure guess work and not with having a superior gaydar as some would like to believe. It also says gays do better that straight people but not by much. So if it does exist, it is clearly very unreliable and is just a trait people like to believe they have (like ESP or something) that makes them special.

---------- Post added 7th Jul 2015 at 01:24 PM ----------

On a second attempt it was 65%

9. Jax12

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think gaydar exists, it's just that I think mine is not experienced enough. It needs to level up lol