1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My friends want me to try ritalin

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by MayaBee, Sep 12, 2016.

1. MayaBee

So, I have one friend who has something similar to ADHD; it is kinda like a softer version of it, wihtout the hyperactivity. About 3 months ago he tried ritalin for the first time because he was about to drop out of school so he took it for better studying. He told me alot about it and how he felt etc and now my other friend wants to try it as well, she doesnt have ADHD but she wants to use it for studying. Now, I I have talked about ritalin with them quite a lot and they told me to try it as well. The friend who has tried it told me that nothing bad will happen to me but I am really scared, byet I could use it because I am not the best student either.
    He bought some from another friend and offers one for free, to test it out, and he says that offer is especially for me because he knows I am really scared.
    I am kinda torn. They don't really pressure me into doing it and I am quite tempted, but I am really scared as well. What if my parents find out?

Soo... Any opinions on this?
    Thanks in advance

2. killswitch0029

I wouldn't recommend it. As someone who's experimented in the past, different medications can have different effects on people. There were some things I did that made me feel like crap whereas other people could use it and feel fine.

Long story short, if you haven't done it already and don't know how it would affect you, don't do it.

3. HappyGirlLucky

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This is a very bad idea! Aside from it being very illegal since you don't have a prescription, Ritalin is also quite similar to amphetamine (also known as speed) and definitely not something to be toyed around with. It is similar to amphetamine in its addictive properties too, so you can become very dependent on it.

Dealers will often approach you and pretend to be your friend and offer the first one for free knowing you will come back for more, that is how they get you hooked. Please just be happy with your grades instead of going down that road, and try to help your friends who do not have a legitimate need for the drug to do it as well. Spend more time studying if you want to improve, or try to get help to study more effectively if you are already studying as much as you can.

I say this as someone who has seen amphetamines ruin the lives of many people I went to school with, and some even lost their life to it: please stay away!

#3 HappyGirlLucky, Sep 12, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2016
  4. Nordland

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Rule of thumb, don't use prescription drugs that haven't been prescribed to you. In fact in the UK, without prescription, Ritalin is a class B drug and can land you prison time for possession.

5. Anthemic

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I wouldn't try it. If you're tempted, then go to your doctor and get tested for ADD/ADHD. If they say you have it, then they will give you a RX. Never try something like that from a friend. It has different side effects on different people. I take Adderall, which is a lot like Ritalin. It makes me have no appetite, it makes me even more talkative than I usually am, it makes me hyper sometimes, too. I like it personally, but it can make you have a depressive crash at night, when it starts wearing off. I take Lexapro, so I don't feel the depressive crash much anymore.

Bad side effects are:
    - Racing heart
    - Panic attacks
    - Lack of appetite
    - Dizzyness
    - Restlessness
    - Agitation

#5 Anthemic, Sep 12, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2016
  6. TraceElement

By coming here and asking, this shows me that in the back of your head you know its not the best idea to do it. if you want something to help you study, try coffee.

7. Creativemind

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I actually got violent when I took ritalin. I choked my younger siblings while on it; I was 10 at the time. When I got off, the violence disappeared. I was misdiagnosed with ADHD and my Mom regretted ever allowing me to take it.

Obviously this is not going to be the reaction of everyone who takes it since we all have different systems. But my main point is that you don't want to mess with medicines you don't really need since you don't know how they will affect you.

8. Male Streisand

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Only take it if its prescribed to you, i take ritalin in the highest dosage and sometimes it doesn't even help my ADD. See a psychiatrist, trust me, if they think you need it, then they'll give it to you. DON'T TAKE IT FROM YOUR FRIENDS! You don't know what dosage they are taking and it could go very bad VERY quickly! Take my advice and see the doc first. You'll thank me later.