1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My family family doesn't want to use my pronouns, but not because they're transpobic

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Sky64, Oct 24, 2020.

1. Sky64

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Some people
    So I'm out to my mum and my sister, I live with them pretty far from my transpobic dad. My mum was kinda not really supportive at the start, but she's growing more and more supportive. My sister was immediately really supportive and she said she already knew.

But the problem is that they don't want to use my pronouns. They claim to fear that they'll accidentally out me to someone if they accidentally gender me correctly to someone. My mum even tried using the right pronouns for a while, but she accidentally gendered me correctly in front of a bunch of people that I'm not out to, she passed it off as an accident and as it just being her not speaking the language that well (we recently moved to a new country) so it wasn't that bad, but if that keeps happening I'll be outed. I'm not 100% sure that they don't wanna use them because of this but I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt.

So my dysphoria has increased the past few weeks and that's worsened by the constant misgendering. I don't know how to get them to use the right pronouns at home and how they can do it without outing me. Any ideas?