1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My ex is sleeping with my roomate

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by mapleluv, Apr 16, 2015.

1. mapleluv

Long story short, I left my ex because I'm gay. He's an awesome guy, we lived together for half a decade, I'm just not attracted to him in that way. So I decided the best thing was for both of us to just move forward with our lives & just be friends.

6 months later, I moved into a new apartment with a roommate. My ex stopped by one day to hang out with me & he & my roommate really hit it off (they really are a great fit for each other, much better than he & I were).

Now they're dating/sleeping together & I don't know how I feel about it. It's one thing to know your ex is with someone new, it's another thing to hear them having sex across the hall from you.

But on the other hand I don't really care. I never had that emotional (or physical) connection with him, so I'm kind of just like whatever. But I feel like I probably should be feeling some stronger emotions about this.

2. resu

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I think you wouldn't have made this thread if you didn't think this was bothering you. Don't make yourself feel stronger emotions because they aren't going to make you feel any better. You know you are sexually incompatible, so just try to leave things at that.

Now, it does seem reasonable to have some feelings after being with him for years and then seeing him with your roommate, but there is nothing you can do about it. Perhaps one solution is to try spending more time with others or going on dates of your own. Otherwise, you may feel like a third wheel.

3. just peeking

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    like you said you moved on - but those feelings will always be there you shared a part of your life with him - I don't think you would be asking us if you didn't already know you still like him - but like resu said - go out and meet other people and if this is still an issue then you know -- you like him..

4. mapleluv

I realized, by talking it out with someone, that what was bugging me was the possibility of losing my ex as a friend. He & I are still really close & I was worried that now that he's dating her we'd never get any time to hang out just the two of us. But we talked about it & he promised me that wouldn't happen, so I feel better now.

5. Broods

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think anytime a dynamic changes in a relationship, whether it be friendship or romantic, it can affect us. Even with my really close platonic friendship, it was hard having them start a new serious relationship because our friendship had to adjust. I could no longer hang out with them whenever and it's more difficult to get one on one time together. But it's an adjustment process and we've made it work, and I hope you can too :slight_smile: