1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My dad met a gay couple

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Simple Thoughts, Aug 1, 2015.

1. Simple Thoughts

People are just excited about it.

I'm sure there were similar celebrations when black people were given protections under the constitution, and they didn't just go home and forget the rest, so I'm sure we'll be alright :slight_smile:

These things take time, and if you don't stop and enjoy the victories along the way you'll just get consumed with negativity.

2. C P

C P

What victory? Or, I think a better question, victory for whom? Definitely not for someone like myself.

I'm not meaning to derail the thread or drown it in sorrow, btw, but I hardly see any progress from my own experience is all I'm saying. Just a bunch of people saying 'Woohoo; gay marriage is now legal. We've achieved the equality(ya right...) we've so longed for.' I've literally heard/seen enough people going on as if now they can move on with their lives without any concerns. This marriage stuff has only distracted from bigger issues and it truly baffles me how it's managed to do on such a big level; it amazes me how much the lgbt community can fight for something like that yet ignore how ridiculously prejudiced and hypocritical it is in itself.

But, hey, the more power to you if you consider this a true victory.

3. 50ishandout

Although it took a long time it is wonderful to be Out and I've never been more content with life. Now if I could just find someone to enjoy it with.

4. Simple Thoughts

Well that set of questions was surprisingly selfish =/

I guess since it doesn't directly affect you, it is irrelevant and not enough. That's a sad way to look at things.

I would say that it has an effect on lots of lives all across this country. There are so many people out there who've wanted to marry their significant other for a long long time, and now they can. That's something worth being excited about.

People aren't about to just pack up and head home. Trust me, there will be plenty of people still fighting the fight and everyone who was outraged at acts of homophobia before will still be outraged at them now.

The world doesn't change overnight and no one is delluded enough to think this is the end of the fight.

I'm sorry you're feeling frustrated, but geeze take a breath and try and be happy for the good thing that happened. :slight_smile:

5. C P

C P

Selfish? I wasn't speaking for just myself, but anyone in similar shoes. We have so many bigger issues than marriage and yet all it seems to have done globally is take over the spotlight.

I am 'happy' for those who've wanted this all their lives(I wouldn't ever wish it were reversed or anything; that's not me), but then what about the rest? They're left with the remnants of whatever is left out of all these who stay over the -deluded- people(I so envy you if you live in a place with continued supportive people/people who seem to care exist; but I assure you that, here, I am far from exaggerating).

:eusa_doh: I can see that I am not making any kind of breakthrough though, so I'll drop this post.

Congrats on the marriage equality.

6. Simple Thoughts

Fair enough I'll drop it.

7. C P

C P

Nah, I see where you are coming from; was just offering a different view/perspective mainly...ended up getting a little too emotional and carried away I suppose. Sorry about that. We seem to live in very different areas. .-.

Back at ya though on the fair enough bit.

8. Simple Thoughts

Nah I live in an area that's pretty simliar from what you're describing.

It's more of a cup half full/empty difference of opinion.

9. C P

C P

I kinda doubt that but, back on topic, has your dad changed since?

10. Simple Thoughts

I dunno. I don't see him much. I haven't talked to him since I posted this.

11. Weregild

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Yeah, some people are capable of change.

Fun thing, I saw a lot of girl couples holding hands today on the street. Thought it was pretty cool.

12. Simple Thoughts