1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My Dad is really sick

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by beckyg, Jun 11, 2008.

1. Nodnarb

My thoughts are with you and your father. I hope things turn out ok!

2. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Yeah, I've got two brothers. One of them has a wife who is very good about taking care of him. In fact it was her nagging that eventually got him to the doctor. :slight_smile: He won't yell at her like he does his direct children either so it works out well and if he does, she yells back. So yeah, there is help.

3. interstella

My hugs, thoughts and prayers are with you all. This must be a tough time for you guys. Let us know how it turns out.

Hadi
    PS get him to quit smoking!!

4. paint

He should definitely stop smoking. Both of my grandfathers had the habit. I pray that things will get better.

5. sexyalex

:O

oh my, this sounds rather serious. Lets not think of the worst Mom but rather pray about it. I doubt it's burning away the linning of his stomch cuz if it was blood would have been comming up with his vohmits (i have had a similar experience) however him not eating can result into serious short term effects, has the doctor illaborated on this yet cuz i think the rapid loss of weight is kinda dangerous, especially for a diabetic (again speaking from experience).

As u said earlier, u and ur dad have not been on eye 2 eye terms but if u really are not ready to lose him yet it's time to start having those eye to eye terms :slight_smile: he needs to be on a convalescent diet or warm foods and fruit or vegetable juices. Maybe it's time to pay him a pumpkin soup visit nuh? :grin:

love,
    Alex.

6. gabriel1

gabriel1 Guest

Becky, you hang in there and know that you have thoughts and prayers from Milwaukee, WI..

7. Hoppip

Be his positivity.

It's okay to show weakness, but right now, he really needs people to be strong. He's scared, you're scared, but you have to be upbeat FOR him.

And I'm thinking of you, and of him. If we all stay positive and hopeful, then something good will happen. It may not be mind over matter, but we can get damn close.

<3

8. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Does Campbells make pumpkin soup Alex? :grin: I'm not much of a cook. :help:

I took my ten daycare kids there today and he seemed pretty cheerful and optmistic about healthy lifestyle changes. He said he cut way back on his smoking today and he's already done away the sugar so that's good! Let's hope he keeps up the good work!

9. sexyalex

oh my gosh, now i know why he was curious to lung cancer. He smokes! Well he shouldn't be smokeing tobacco; he should be smokeing what's good for him. Some weed.
    And i am not too sure of Campbells, i am not too big on can food :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:
    But if u like i can send u a basic recipe of how to make a nice "Country Style" soup.:grin: soup is kinda a jamaican tradition thing...

OH i almost forgot, u said he is off sugar. Since we now know he is diabetic that is a plus, however it's going to take more than just that to keep his health under control and if i may; never, i mean never, get him any artificial sweeteners. ie. "sweet n' Low", "Splenda" etc. I learnt really bad things about it in Biology class. PM me iff u wan the 411 on that. but trust me, artificial sweetners are not what u want to give a middle aged diabetic. :confused:
    and taking the kids with u to him was a nice jesture :slight_smile:
    What u have planned up for father's day? IDK what to get or do for my dad as yet. :astonished:

10. Astaroth

My prayers are with you and your family, Becky! (*hug*)

11. jayden

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    my dad smokes and drinks a lot!!! i hope your dad is getting better now becky

12. TriBi

Sorry Becky - I missed this before. At least things sound like they are looking up from when you started this thread. Also sounds like your sister in law has got him pretty well pegged. :wink:

Hope it all continues to improve.

13. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Thanks guys! He has an Upper GI next week and a stress test on his heart. So we will see what they find out from these tests but so far he seems to be doing good as far as cutting back (hasn't quit yet) on the smoking and eating alot better.

14. ccdd

ccdd Guest

I'm sorry you're dad's ill - I'm thinking of you and him (*hug*). But I hope the tests go well and that he continues to be good with the smoking less (*hug*)