1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My dad has reached a new level of homophobia

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by deadmau5ftw, Dec 23, 2013.

1. deadmau5ftw

I knew my dad has some homophobic feelings, but he never really discussed them in detail, but....

I was having dinner with my family and my dad brought up that whole homophobic duck dynasty dude... and he said, " what do you think about that whole situation with Phil Robertson" and I said.." well he is just a homophobic hick moron, who doesn't know what he got himself into when he signed a contract" and we went on and on about the whole legal thing (since my dad is a lawyer).... then he said " well I support what he said"... I pretty much lost it there.. I got so pissed. My dad said "all men love women." I said "well some people are gay and thats just a fact." he said " well they choose to be that way" when he said that my jaw dropped and almost completely freaked out.

After that I was obviously extremely angry and my mom and sister noticed for sure. My mom knows i'm gay and she defended gay people which was nice knowing she would defend them.

He has never spoken outwardly like this and I am at a lost for words.

2. Data

Data Guest

He doesn't sound angry, just misguided. He sounds very, very misguided in his knowledge of LGBT people.

Don't lose hope. People like your dad can be educated and shown the truth about the gays and trans folk. Sometimes they are easy to bring into the light, and sometimes they are stubborn and stuck in their ways. Either way, I'm sure you could work him over.

3. deadmau5ftw

I sure hope so :/

4. Straight ally

Santiago de los caballeros, Dominican Republic
    Dont lose hopes. There are 2 kind of homophobes:hardcore homophobes and softcore homophobe.

Hardcores are the typical fundamental christian that calls gay people fagg*ts and talks in an angry tone about gay people, and probably believe they deserve to die or at least be "cured"... Your dad sounds more like a softcore, he probably have a lack of information, doesnt know any close-to-him gay people that is out of the closet . He is probably like i was before meeting a lesbian and brcoming her friend. I never pursued gay people or anything, i never spended my energy or time in worrying about gay people, but if anyone talked about this with me i would have said the things that i was taught to think about gay people by my catholic parents, the whole love the sinner hate the son... But as soon as i became friends with a lesbian it all changed almost inmediatly, it was like:'so she loves women just like i do, how is that bad just because she is a woman? What is the problem? How can something be bad if it doesnt affect anyone really? Why would God have any problem with this wonderful and loving and empathic person just because of something that is totally inocuous? That would be an assholic kind of god, and the God i believe in is infinitely loving and merciful and good'

So my homophobia died inmediatly...or my sister, just by knowing that i supported gay people and a friend of mine is gay she stopped being homophobic almost inmediatly.

So, the same might happen with your father.

Is good that your mother supports you :slight_smile:

5. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't think Phil Robertson's a bad guy. He was born and raised in that poisonous mindset, and while I think he means well, obviously he is completely wrong and shockingly offensive to those of us who know better.

Your dad's the same way. It's just the passing of judgment without much thought put into what he's judging. Of course the old standby applies, "If being gay was a choice, why would anyone choose it while you're around?"

He might change his tune if he ever finds out you're gay. So don't lose heart yet! :slight_smile:

6. Skov

I get how you feel. The other day my dad made a comment along the lines of, "I'm glad Phil put the homosexuals in their place." It was kind of a slap across the face, but he'll learn to accept me

7. deadmau5ftw

Thanks for the support guys, I really hope he will change his mind too.

8. BlueLines

I wish you the best of luck with your dad, I hope he comes around sooner then later. I know that stuff can be hard. My whole family is "politely" homophobic so I can understand the frustration for sure.

9. stocking

stocking Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I think your dad will learn to accept lgbt people but it will take time . Some of them get the wake up call when it's their kids that are in the lgbt community . Mom is homophobic as well she thinks it's a vice and just all about sex and people like me have demons in us that make us do that stuff . she accept gay and lesbian people that fit into the stereotype
    You know very girly guy and very manly woman . But people who don't fit that stereotype like myself freak her out and she thinks it's all sex with us and that we not really gay. My dad is the same way he thinks he can just go out and screw a lesbian and she will magically turn straight or bi . I'm still hoping too that they will no longer think this way I'm pretty sure my dad my learn something but not my mom she will probably kick me out or stop talking to me all together i don't really know for sure but i hope not .

But i think your dad will come around sooner or later .

#9 stocking, Dec 23, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2013
  10. Kgirl

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My dad has always been "softcore" homophobic as someone put it above. He doesn't nind its existence, but he doesn't want to be made aware of it, and he doesn't think it's good for children to be brought up by a same sex couple because they will be bullied at school or something. I always say that times have changed and yes kids can be mean at school but they mostly copy their parents and our generation are much more accepting than the last, I think.

Anyway when I came out to him he was really supportive and surprisingly understanding, saying "it must have felt so unnatural to you" when I nearly married my ex bf but cancelled pretty last minute.

There really is hope for your dad. I think he just is disconnected from the lgbt world and doesn't know better. Chin up :slight_smile:

11. fortheloveoflez

Maybe instead of restricting gay people from raising children people should put more of a focus on these illogical people who would BULLY some one for being gay or having gays around them. Sounds a bit more logical, doesn't it? I mean that statement is as stupid as saying that some one of a particular race shouldn't have kids because there's racism out there. UM HELLO. Maybe we should get rid of racism instead of fucking over every one who suffers from it?

#11 fortheloveoflez, Dec 23, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2013
  12. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Lol, "If people just quit having black babies, we wouldn't have to deal with racial inequality!"

...Yikes. But that is exactly what the above argument about children of gay parents is.