1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My boyfriend is HIV+

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by TeddyV, Aug 10, 2017.

1. TeddyV

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    The last few days were rough...
    My boyfriend is from another country, and before he came to mine, he was in a relationship with his ex-boyfriend for 7 years (so f long I know). Also he took a HIV test but never checked his result, he just flew to my country in December 2016.
    On Sunday, a doctor from his country, out of nowhere, messaged him, saying that he has HIV. He told me later that night, I was so shocked and confused. We went to a clinic the next morning to take a test for both. He is definitely HIV+ and I'm negative.
    So after we got the result, we signed up for his treatment and shit happened. The doctor was very rude to him and me. She said that she doesn't work with foreigners. We had no other choice but to leave. I was very frustrated because I knew he needs to deal with this fast. We have no knowledge of HIV and what medication to take (which probably is very expensive I think)
    It has been a few days since that, I already told him that I'm fine with him being HIV+. We have only been together for 4 months and I really connect to him. However he seems to be defeated by it, we stopped having sex and being intimate. He said that he has already accepted his sentence that he'll die soon. I really hope things get better for us, I wish to hear advices from you guys.

2. kibou97

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Are there any other doctors in your area at all that do treatment for HIV? Make absolutely sure you've used all of your available options before giving up. Also he will not die soon. It may be insanely difficult for him with knowing he now has HIV. However, even without medicine he will not die soon. Most can live from a few years after diagnosis to upwards of a decade with no medicine.

#2 kibou97, Aug 10, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2017
  3. Lin1

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    He will absolutely not die soon. Actually nowadays (in civilized country where meds against HIV are available and provided) he is likely to live a very normal life and die at a very old age like most of the population. The time where HIV= a death sentence is long gone and he can literally have a rather normal life IF he takes his medicines so getting himself medicated should be his absolute priority right now.

HIV is still very much stigmatized but really it isn't as inconvenient or as life threatening as it used to be. A lot of HIV+ can see their viral load go down to 0 making them very unlikely to transmit the virus even without protection (I obviously ALWAYS recommend using protection HIV+ or not) that's how far science has gone. Lots of HIV+ people go on to have a family and live a long and happy life. Your boyfriend is gifted with a great and supportive partner and this is going to be a massive bonus in the journey he is about to take on. Tell him that AIDS isn't a life sentence anymore, he isn't going to die tomorrow from it BUT he needs to ensure that he is medicated in order to have the best quality of life he can.

In which country are you OP? Is it easy to access this type of medicine where you live?

A family member of mine is HIV+ he has been diagnosed for decades and live a completely normal. The only time where his sickness was a problem was when he stopped his medication due to depression and the illness progressed so much that it did some brain damage. That is why I stress that being medicated continuously is key to living a normal life.

Good luck to your boyfriend and big hugs to you both