1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My aunt and my mother outed me and my cousin to each other

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by Bludzee, Jul 26, 2023.

1. Bludzee

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Ok so, I think I need to introduce my family a bit so the story will be easier to understand.

My father have a brother, my uncle and he had two kids with my aunt but they divorced, like my parents. My mother and my aunt have always been closer than my father and his brother so, as a kid, I saw my cousins with my mother. We used to get along pretty well, one is my age and the other is two year older.
    However, we spend almost 10 years without seeing each other, it was planned to see my cousins and my aunt again for the summer.
    In June, I come out to my mother. Things were good until my mother told my she outed me to my aunt and that the cousin of my age have « gender identity problem » (actually she’s trans but my aunt and my mother keep misgendering her…). I feel like she specifically outed me because my aunt outed my cousin.
    Anyway, when I saw my cousin I quickly noticed she wasn’t openly out (from the info my mother gave me before I couldn’t really know). We still talk to each other, and kinda over our love for video games. We exchange discord, and on there we discuss more. I learned that my aunt outed me to my cousin and she learned that her mother outed her.
    We’re both really disappointed by our mothers. But, at the same time, we’re both glad to not be the only gay cousin of the family.
    I’m happy to have someone kind of like me in my family. But I don’t know, I feel like this was the wrong way to learn that.

I haven’t confront my mother about how bad that was. I don’t know if I should. The situation as a whole is weird.

2. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey I am sorry that happened to you. It’s not right that your mother and aunt did that to your cousin and yourself and I think at some point perhaps it might be worth just sitting down with your mum and saying that your not mad about what happened but ask her please to not out you to anyone else without checking with you first. my guess would be that they were discussing family life etc and either your mum or aunt said oh this has been happening and then the other one opened up about it because perhaps they also found comfort in familiarity. I’m not saying it makes it right but just that they didn’t mean any harm by it.

Tightrope likes this.
  3. Bludzee

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thanks for your answer. I know they didn't mean harm and I know I should talk about it but it's really nice to hear it from someone else

Tightrope likes this.
  4. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I am also sorry this happened. Most of the time, it's one's social circle or coworkers that do this.

When it happens with relatives, it's either that they don't think it's a big deal (to them), they're bored and need to spice up their small lives, or they're just clueless. It's not their place and it sounds like there are boundary issues. I've also seen it happen among relatives so someone can smack their lips from having been vengeful. I have a feeling that might have happened to me within the last 10 years, but I'm not sure. These relatives haven't liked me in a while because I have kept my distance from them for their behavior over time, so it doesn't matter that much to me.

I can't tell you how to address this. I think that reflecting on this and deciding how you will act - or possibly someone else making the first move on the chessboard - will drive how this turns out. I hope it turns out the best for YOU.

5. quebec

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Bludzee.....Like everyone else, I'm sorry that this happened to you. I think that people in older generations (mine :old_frown: ) just don't understand how wrong outing someone is. I often think of the line in the movie "Love Simon" where Simon tells the guy who outed him that it was his (Simon's) choice to choose who to tell and that it has now been taken from him. Coming out is hard/scary/important/exciting. It can be all of those at the same time. Sometimes it's necessary but terrible and other times it's exciting and wonderful...and we all wish that a time will come when it won't be needed at all. Now that you and your cousin are out, you can at least share experiences with each other and support each other. Perhaps you will find out that the two of you aren't the only LGBTQ family members! :old_smile:
    .....David :gay_pride_flag:

6. Bludzee

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I thank you all for your answer.
    Well yes, my cousin and I are closer now and it’s really nice.
    Well, for my aunt I think it’s a boundary issue, but after reflection, I think it’s a bit different for my mom.
    When she was 14-15 she was diagnosed her sickness (I have mention it in older thread) and at the time her mother forbidden her to talk about it to other family members and my mother has really painful memories of this period of her life. In her head, keeping secrets to family is the worst feeling ever so maybe she thought this is better if people know for me too. She already ask me multiple time when I am going to come out to the rest of the family because she feels uncomfortable keeping this as a secret for now. However, I’m not going to come out quickly to my family for her. She will adapt herself.