1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

General News More School shootings

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Eye Shine, Oct 10, 2015.

1. Par

Par

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    It's times like this I wish I could gather up all my friends from America, make sure none of them have guns and let them live here to keep them safe.

#21 Par, Oct 10, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2015
  2. CyclingFan

Completely 100% agree

3. sldanlm

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    That is the Elephant in the room as they say in US politics. Politicians and even most anti gun groups from the most progressive areas of the US won't say what you just said. They might believe it, but they won't say it in public. To use a subway analogy, politicians used to say any talk of cutting Social Security was the third rail of politics, you go there and your political career dies. The same has been true for supporting gun confiscation in most areas of the country. If you do say the word confiscate, you don't have to worry about advertising your opinion, the NRA and your political opposition (if your in office or running for it) will gladly quote you repeatedly in their advertising. Even the president, who can't run for office and has nothing to lose politically, hasn't gone there yet.

4. Zen fix

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Not to mention that nobody knows how many unregistered firearms there are. This has really blown up in California especially thanks to 80% builds. AR-15s can be made be anyone with a router or drill press. Politicians don't talk about confiscation because to attempt it would set off a lot of violence.

5. Simple Thoughts

The same nutjobs with all these gun stocks are also the same ones who believe we're going to have civil war over the supreme court ruling on Gay Marriage so in all honesty if we tried to confiscate their guns at this point in time they'd stupidly create a 'self fulfilling prophecy' and we'd enter civil war over guns and gays.

I guess with our overpopulation problem in the world that wouldn't be a terrible thing. Our government would stomp those idiots who are untrained and unprepared so we'd cut back on our idiots a bit lol

6. Open Arms

Open Arms Guest

Btw, it's bogus to believe arming students would result in fewer deaths by shooting.
    Most likely, the more bullets flying around, the more deaths.

I quote

However, a 2010 study conducted by ABC News and the Bethlehem Police Department at Pennsylvania’s Muhlenberg College tackled the subject of putting guns in classrooms. Officers trained six students with varying levels of firearm experience during a gun-safety class, then gave them a handgun with fake bullets that they were to keep on them during class. At random times, an armed intruder would burst into the classroom and open fire. The students were expected to defend themselves, but none of them were successful. Not even the self-described gun enthusiast.

Americans, you owe it to yourselves and your country to educate yourselves on the true facts about guns. For example, read Do guns save lives?

#26 Open Arms, Oct 11, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2015
  7. CyclingFan

Btw, I too think it's completely bogus that more guns would be a deterrent to mass shooting events.

These almost always end up with the shooter dead, either by his own hand or "in a blaze of glory". They're all effectively murder-suicides. If someone could explain how more guns act as a deterrent in this situation, I'd be interested in hearing that logic.

8. Distant Echo

I read somewhere (really can't remember where) that it's too late to control the guns. So let's control the damn ammunition. Make that damn near impossible to get. Will it stop the hoarders? No. But it might stop the village idiot who lets his kids get hold of his guns.

---------- Post added 15th Oct 2015 at 10:42 PM ----------

I see that scenario as : gunman opens fire, kills a few students. Another student shoots him and stops the killing. Then another student bursts in, sees the student hero with a gun, and shoots him...and another student bursts in and...you get the idea

#28 Distant Echo, Oct 15, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2015
  9. sldanlm

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm not a member of the NRA so I don't know, are they actually using the word "deterrent"? If so I think they're totally off base, and misunderstand the difference between a crime where a criminal wants to not get hurt, like a carjacking or rape, versus a nutcase who either doesn't care or actually wants to die in a so called blaze of glory. There is even a term for it called "suicide by cop". I don't think a crazy person would be deterred by even the presence of a swat van parked outside the school, at least deterred in the sense of not doing the crime at all. The most that might happen is the shooter might just go somewhere else, or get shot before he/she does a high body count, but that doesn't solve the overall problem. The republicans like to say it's not guns, it's a mental health issue, but when it comes to actually spending money on mental health treatment, they don't want to do it.

Even with crimes that aren't mass murders, like robbery or rape, guns don't really stop those crimes in general. If the criminals are deterred from that particular victim they'll just do something to someone else, until they're either shot, locked up or quit committing crimes. The republicans are fine spending money on more prisons, but not on programs that would keep people from entering a life of crime in the first place.

---------- Post added 15th Oct 2015 at 10:07 AM ----------

Chris Rock thinks so too. I think he mentioned $5000 a bullet

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Db0Y4qIZ4PA

---------- Post added 15th Oct 2015 at 10:42 PM ----------

I see that scenario as : gunman opens fire, kills a few students. Another student shoots him and stops the killing. Then another student bursts in, sees the student hero with a gun, and shoots him...and another student bursts in and...you get the idea[/QUOTE]

This exact scenario is addressed in most good CCW classes, at least in Ohio. (Don't know about other states) Also what to do if you do shoot a criminal and how not to get shot by the police who are responding to the crime. Unfortunately not all CCW courses are good ones. Some are merely like the so called "class" on guns that ABC's 20/20 gave to their test subjects prior to the classroom exercise, which is just basic marksmanship. A chimp probably can be taught how to use a gun to put a hole on a paper target with a handgun, it doesn't mean they're qualified to deal with a mass shooting situation. To do that you need to teach and practice tactics as well.

10. Ryu

Ryu

Well if America already has laws which are full of ballocks...
    It must be compulsary for all teachers to be armed with assault rifles, shotguns, and at least two sidearms in order to prevent these shootings. Also, a new curriculum activity for children is target practice using combinations if handguns and rifles.

11. Steam Mecha

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Nothing will change, We live in a nation in witch we have more guns than people.

12. Kira

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I know I've said this a few hundred times, but I can't wait to go to Canada...

To me, the freedom to live is more important than the freedom to play with dangerous assault weapons. I don't fit in.

13. Mags the Goron

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Honestly, I don't see what you Americans (who don't oppose your gun laws) deem more important than hundreds, maybe even thousands, of lives!

---------- Post added 15th Oct 2015 at 11:11 PM ----------

Personally, I'm not too sure about that. It may take a while, but I do like to think that slowly, Americans will realise that guns kill people and start disposing of them or at least stop buying them. True, it's likely to be a slow process (unless a law is passed), but it's not impossible.

14. Open Arms

Open Arms Guest

Please Kira, come to Canada if at all possible. We'd love to have you. It is A LOT safer here. The majority of Canadians want more gun regulation, not less; politics does not dominate our lives; we encourage multiculturaliam; everyone gets free healthcare, and we are far more gay accepting than the USA. I often see buttons on backpacks, T-shirts, etc that say Challenge Homophobia.

An American who has been living here for over 20 years put it this way: Canada is a gentler, kinder society. The USA is the world power and has lots of positives, including wonderful people, but I think you would fit into our society better Kira. I really do.