1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mixed Emotions

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by annag423, Jun 27, 2017.

1. annag423

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    So I picked up a Groupon to a local cosmetology school last week, just for a wash and style, and I went yesterday to use it. It turned out to be the female oriented place I was hoping it would be. All the student stylists were women. And like the title says, I have mixed emotions about the whole thing. Not the end result, I mean. (I look great!) And not it being all women.

Let me explain a little. I was pegged as a male the moment I walked in the door, which is fine as I'm not openly out yet to anyone other than my sister. Groupon apparently lowered the price without telling this company, so I had to wait half an hour while they figured out if I could even use it, and during that time I got to observe the students. Not in a creepy way. Just, looking for mannerisms and things like that. And they were so comfortable together. Playful banter, laughing, cutting up... I wonder if I'll ever have that kind of confidence, you know? Even just to own who I am. Had I gone in and said my name was Grace or Taylor or any of the other ones I've been kicking around they probably would have accepted it. I mean, as I was waiting the receptionist took a call from a guy who lost a bet with some female coworkers and had to get a full-on makeover (updo, makeup, everything), and they explained all the pricing and made the appointment without any kind of judgementalism at all.

As I sat in the chair waiting for them to fill out paperwork and get started I couldn't help but notice how masculine I looked. My long hair had these beachy waves to it, which is ironic because a year ago before I had accepted being trans this was exactly the look I was going for. I got it blown out straight, and with new earrings in...I felt like me again. What's also ironic is that I hate having straight hair all the time. I got it permed because I love my curls. And yet I see more of who I am when it's blown out straight for some reason.

Maybe I'm overthinking this. I don't know.