1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

missing out

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Moonboy93, Jun 21, 2022.

1. Moonboy93

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Am I missing out on life like I'm 28 yrs old I feel like people doing incredible things in their 20s right now while I'm wasting my life I'm not a boring person I'm just feel stuck :frowning2:

2. Cinnamoon

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    There are people doing incredible things at every age and people struggling at every age too. I know it's hard but you shouldn't compare yourself to others too much. You are unique, you are you. It's always good to try to improve ourselves but the only people we should be comparing ourselves to is us from the past. How are you making progress for you, regardless of anyone else? I think you're being a bit harsh on yourself, there is no particular age by which we need to have done particular things. Throughout your 30s you will still be young, so you have plenty of time left to do whatever you want to do.

3. Moonboy93

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    thank you cinnamoon I want people know me I'm special I'm somebody I'm just don't want to feel like I'm the only one who is single don't have friends I wanna get my life together however I am making hard on myself I don't want to go back to square where I was it's a struggle for me

4. bambibat

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I really relate to this though I’m a bit younger. I know so many from my school days who are now engaged or married, have a house, have kids, can drive (I still can’t lol), have their own clothing brand or small business, are managers, are travelling the world, etc. etc. Even my younger sister is so much more successful than me. I always feel as if it’s me who’s the younger sibling and barely accomplishing anything.

BUT that being said, I totally second what @Cinnamoon says! When I catch myself in a thought rut I think about all the older people I know who are in the same position as me and doing completely fine, going at their own pace. Your late twenties and thirties are still so young, you have so much time ahead of you to try new things and make life more fulfilling. And even the smallest bit of progress matters. During hard times it’s more important to take care of yourself so that the “bigger” things can come later, without sacrificing your well-being.

5. bsg75apollo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm 48. Despite having been married twice and having three kids, I'm still trying to figure out what I want to be when I grow up. There are several areas of my life where I feel like those younger than me surpass me.

6. Rayland

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I know people who are doing amazing things in their 40's, 50's and 60s and I'm thinking that this is the point in life I want to get when I get older. They have their own businesses and are very talented, sometimes I wonder where they take all that time and energy to achieve it all. So no matter what your age is you can achieve amazing things, if you put time and effort in it. Nothing comes to you, if you don't work for it.

7. FinnIsScary

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Yeah i understand how you feel buddy I kinda feel like wasted potential, I don’t really do anything all day when I want to I kinda just lay in bed all day.

8. KelTik

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Same I know so many of us feel that way but I've been finding there is no age limit for finding yourself your passions loved desires hobbies. It comes when it comes !

9. Aeolia

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I remember a tumblr post that said something along the lines of : "Who the Hell is doing anything in their 20s anyway ? The 20s are for unlearning and fixing the broken stuff in your life", and I wholly agree.

we tend to overestimate what people are doing because of social media and series/flicks, everybody's always posting something amazing and we're bombarded with it. real life is filled with slow moments and being bored.
    we also tend to compare ourselves to our parents or grandparents who lived in a pretty different world. In a way, today the 30s are the new 20s.

societies obsessed with productivity tend to make us believe that you need to be productive or to do a lot of things. and that for you to pick up a craft, if you so desire, is pointless because the best at it began at age 3.

what you actually compare yourself to when judging yourself to be boring is a mix of everyone you've seen and every expectation you feel are upon you, and that mix is filled to the brim and won't show the boring parts in everyone's life.

truth is, I believe, that there actually isn't anything to miss out on and that there is no such thing as too late when it comes to enjoying your own life. do what feels right

10. Mihael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Same here. I'm glad I at least have a university degree and an occupation.
    I'm also single and barely have friends... It didn't work out at university. There were no clubs and societies even before covid. Nobody wanted to attend. I try to join all sorts of groups about hobbies, but I struggle to make friends this way, because people don't even talk or are too different from me - there are a lot of families: middle aged people and their children. I'm at a loss.

11. Loves books

I did nothing in my 20s. I tried college for a year but it wasn’t really my thing. Im now 30 and have no plans to do anything with my 30s either. Maybe a holiday.

12. Moonboy93

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    well I still have dreams however life set me back

13. Cinnamoon

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It's good you still have dreams at least, keep going =)

14. Aeolia

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    what are those dreams ? (if you feel comfortable with telling us)

somebody in here may show you a way to still attain or thrive towards them

15. Cinnamoon

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Absolutely.

Sometimes goals might be easier to achieve than you think. Especially when you're still in your 20s

16. Moonboy93

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    My dreams are being a filmmaker I love movies Being a music manager for a girl groups only(like Destiny's child TLC spice girls etc) animator huge fans and love for cartoons and animation and writing a stories also being wealthy lol

17. Rayland

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This is wonderful. It's not impossible though. Like if you wish to be a filmmaker, then you can start small. Can you tell us a little about your educational journey, so we could offer you more of an insight? There are people who just became voice actors with just practicing themselves and got into the industry withouth going to school at all. There are ways. It requires hard work though, but you can do it.

18. Aeolia

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Welp, that's not nearly as impossible as you made it sound lmao. Not many ways to go around it whether you've got a degree or not :
    Make films. Make films. Make films. By yourself or for people. And watch films. And read about films. etc.. etc...
    And if you wanna go pro with it, build an online portfolio then go around and ask to be taken in as a trainee or as an employee.

Learn to use Adobe Premiere and maybe begin with making AMV (anime music videos). Doesn't cost anything, has you working on rhythm and storytelling.
    If you wanna go into animation, I hear ClipStudio has become really good (it often goes on sale).

It's hard to get into professionally, but it's also one of those fields that you can get into through so many ways. You're 28 lmao, you're closer to being a baby than to retiring. Go for it.

TL;DR: Make films and build a portfolio. Then use this portfolio to get a job.

19. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If one of your goals is to become a filmmaker it would be good to look into the steps that will lead you to that goal. Similar with animation.

Think about which of the goals attracts you the most. Then think about what would you need to do, to work towards is. It would be good trying to speak with people working in the field you want to be in. You might need to do some research on local filmmakers or animators that you could reach out. Getting the insight knowledge as it were, learning how others have become successful, can help you in making the best choices and decisions for yourself.

An important piece to keep in mind however is to keep your goals realistic. Plus, pursue something because you want to pursue it, and know this is what you want to do. Never pursue something because of the money or the potential financial rewards as this could lead you to disappointments.

20. Moonboy93

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    thanks everyone