1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Minor issue with friend

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by ECMember, Aug 25, 2018.

1. ECMember

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Okay so myself, my friends Zach W and ZachV and Seth went to see 2001 A Space Odyseey in IMAX last night. It was recently restored in 4k by Warner Bros and overseen by Christopher Nolan. Anyway, we saw it last night. My friend ZachW enjoyed the movie up till the last 20 minutes of the movie. The third part of the movie called Jupiter and Beyond. It's the part after HAL is deactivated, and the other astronauts are killed off by Hal in their pods or whatever. And also its the part where Frank Bowman is in the pod and entering into Jupiter's orbit and entering the area of the monolinth. Then Bowman enters the "hyperspace" sequence for about 5-10 minutes. Then he ends up in some room with the monolinth and then ages and then ends up as the "Star child." Zach W was critical of the ending calling it to a degree "demonic." He called Bowman's aging and eventual transfiguration as the star child as "an evil kind of rebirth." Seth thought the sequence of the hyperspace was "distrubing." I mean granted the hyperspace scenes may have been inspired by the late 60s psychedelica(this move was released originally in 1968 FYI).

I mean there was nothing demonic or remotely Satanic about this movie. These guys same guys watch Japanese anime like Dragon Ball Z that have aliens and demon creatures and play video games that have violence.

By the way Zach W is a highly conservative White evangelical I'll add.

2. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Many people who are deeply steeped in conservative Christian thinking tend to wrongly interpret a whole bunch of things as 'demonic' or 'ungodly' or other tripe. If it were me, I'd safely ignore that opinion. If it were me, I'd also seriously consider whether this is someone I want to spend time around.

3. ECMember

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Chip have you seen the movie 2001 A Space Odyssey.

This is the scene that Zach was a bit upset about

He though the "rebirth" was evil. I mean this last segement of the movie is controversial and people have debated and wrote it longer than myself and Zach have been born.

4. Totesgaybrah

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Whoa that’s honestly kind of scary.

5. ECMember

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all

The ending of the moving. Also the Pink Floyd music was added by the youtube user not the original movie

6. dano218

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Even as a christian myself I find those kind of characterizations ridiculous but it happens to people all the time. Just because your watching something that may be seen as demonic such as a movie does not mean you are worshipping demons or a evil person

7. Destin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Some people just take their religious interpretations too far. I knew someone who was seriously afraid of mixed breed dogs like a labradoodle because he claimed they were 'unnatural demonic hellhounds' made by satanists because they were playing God by making a new animal.

8. ECMember

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all

Dano have you watched 2001 A Space Odyseey. Have you watched that final segement that Zach found controversy with? I mean he claimed that the "rebirth" of David Bowman was evil and referring to the psychedelic sequence in hyperspace was demonic alongside the starchild.

I mean Stanley Kubrick https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stanley_Kubrick wasn't really religious okay I admit that. So was the guy that co-wrote the screenplay https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arthur_C._Clarke (btw Clark was a gay guy I just learned today).

9. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've seen the film. Actually, in a midnight show years ago in a theater with about 500 other people. :slight_smile: I found the whole film to be... pretty trippy, as is the case with many Kubrick films, but I saw nothing disturbing about it.

The scene is profound, and there's an interview floating around somewhere where Kubrick actually describes what the scene was intended to be. I read that interview a ways back. It's basically a rebirth story; it has nothing remotely demonic about it according to the guy who actually made the film.

10. ECMember

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Compared to his other films like A Clockwork Orange, Eyes Wide Shut, The Shinning, and Full Metal Jacket, this movie was the tamest.