1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Men's Wear exploration

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by SnowshoeGeek, Sep 27, 2015.

1. Tyto

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    TOTALLY concur with those who always felt like hyper-feminine wear made them feel like they were in drag! It was both confusing and distressing when people would say how 'gorgeous' or 'beautiful' I looked when I was forced to wear such clothing items. As soon as I flew the nest and could buy my own attire, I would hover in the mens clothing aisles, or dart across to the mens fragrances and once, I even filched a pair of mens underwear because I was too embarrassed to buy them (stuffed conspicuously down my own trouser fronts... How I wasn't caught is amazing!) I was in my twenties before I took the plunge. The kindly older woman who served me when I bought some mens V-necks and a couple flannelettes commented on the good quality of the garments which prompted me (eyes darting, hands clammy, sweat pouring outta my armpits), for no reasonable reason, to somewhat hysterically and far to loudly explain that they were for my boyfriend - who didn't exist. 10 years later, I only ever buy from the mens part of the store, and do so confidently and casually. If I'm forced, for whatever reason, to browse or try on women's clothing, it is done so with a cringing and pleading look on my face.
    Feel free to use my excuse that its for a male in your life - father, brother, husband etc - just maybe don't yell it at them!

2. KaelTail

Shopping for clothes has always been an anxiety-ridden trauma-fest for me, and it sucks because I actually like shopping for clothes...

My issue, as far back as I can remember, is that I hate 99.9% of the clothing in the woman's/girl's/teen's section, and even though I like 60% or more of the men's/boy's sections, I feel horribly judged for even standing near those areas of the store. I know it's completely illogical, and no one in the area even cares that I'm there, but I get this feeling like suddenly everyone is starting at me "knowingly" and disapproving of who I am.

I usually end up disappointedly buying the most "tomboyish" clothes I can find in the women's section, then going home and grumbling about how I have a closet full of clothes I hate wearing, and dreaming of going on a shopping spree through the men's section that will leave me looking fierce and fabulous... then dyeing my hair in a rainbow. *sigh*

[​IMG]

3. SnowshoeGeek

I can't thank everyone enough for the replies... honestly I didn't know anyone else in the world felt like this (I don't get out much!) I took another saunter through the men's section yesterday, and this time I spent a solid 20 minutes. I only managed to try on a pair of flannel-lined carpenter jeans in the dressing room... the rest I just held up to see if they'd fit. I got two pairs of jeans, two pairs of sweat pants (with pockets and elastic ankles!), and two lovely soft plaid shirts! I am frankly amazed at the quality and value. Pockets everywhere, just good solid clothing that covers and functions. Really makes me wonder about things... more than clothing...

4. middleageguy

:eusa_clap. Awesome!!