1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Meeting people in a new city?

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by mtnmeggles, Aug 8, 2017.

1. mtnmeggles

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Family only
    *I apologize for the lengthy post in advance!*

So, I just moved from a relatively small town in Georgia up to the Asheville area within the last few months. If you know (or don't know) anything about the area...it's probably one of more accepting cities within the south in regards to being different in really any way. LGBT+ friendly, personal expression-friendly (?), welcoming of people from different spiritualities and backgrounds...heck it's even dog-friendly to boot! Anyways, I definitely feel more at ease up here than where I lived before.

However...(and to get to the actual point of the post) I've been here since January and I haven't really gotten out and met anybody within the community. I've looked into joining "meetup" groups, but it seems like the main one in the area is mostly older women and I'd like to meet people closer to my age. I've gone to a gay club here with a couple friends but I'm scared to go alone and I'm not entirely sure it's my scene.

I honestly don't know what to do...I've been through a heck a year in coming to terms with my sexuality. Being okay with it and sometimes feeling weird because of it and I just would like to have friends that understand being in that place to where I wouldn't feel so isolated. Any advice? Thanks :slight_smile:

2. OnTheHighway

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well, you have already reflected that you have not "gotten out" so start with that, get out!

I love Ashville, I go frequently as I have family in the area. People I have met in the LGBT community seem very welcoming.

Also, while there is a gay bar, I have found most venues are truly mixed and people frequent all of them.

The best way to actually meet people is to join groups, organisations social clubs or LGBT athletic leagues. There is a website called Gay Asheville which may be a good place to start.

A final tip, its all in the numbers. The more people you meet, the more you increase the odds of meeting people you connect with.

Good Luck!

#2 OnTheHighway, Aug 9, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2017