1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Meeting my girlfriend’s ex husband

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Wan2Luv, Mar 3, 2020.

1. Wan2Luv

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I’m going to be at a event where my new girlfriends ex husband will attend. I’m feeling uncomfortable about it and I’m not sure why. Their divorce was bitter and absolutely no chance that they’ll get back together. I recently came out, and for some reason this situation feels differently than if I were in a hetero relationship. Any thoughts?

2. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey I can understand why it might seem a bit awkward but I am sure it wont be as bad as you think.

3. Lin1

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Why does it feel differently to you?

I am a weird one but I love meeting exes, I absolutely don't mind them being mentioned or talked about (a reasonable amount of course). Ultimately they were people who my partner loved and shaped her and who she loved so I am definitely interested to hear about them and from them tbh. I am also very close to a lot of the people I have been with and despite being close I wouldn't go back with any of them. I just expect whoever I am with to take it as they are, people who once were important in my life, shaped me, and ultimately led me to her. So yeah...

What part of meeting him makes you uncomfortable?

Shorthaul likes this.
  4. LostInDaydreams

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Did your girlfriend realise her sexuality during their marriage? If so, I can understand being slightly nervous about how he’ll react, even if he does already know about you.

Hopefully everyone will behave like adults. If not, then you can only control your own behaviour and you can remove yourself from the situation if needed.

5. LaurenSkye

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    As long as she is not still hung up on him, it should go okay, though I imagine it will be awkward, but it should be just as awkward for them as it is you. Just watch out for the possibility that your girlfriend may be using you to get back at him. Not very likely, but it would be a bad sign for your relationship.