1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Meanwhile in an alternative universe

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by unlovedman84, Nov 2, 2022.

1. unlovedman84

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Before diving into this observation, I have made please allow yourself to see it with the same comedy as I am.

Meanwhile in an alternative universe...

I have been following a local couple on Instagram for a couple of years now. Magazine perfect with bright smiles, attending every single blingy event around the city.

A while ago I started noticing there is another guy that started to appear, first with the one guy and then the other. Thats when I learned a new word: Throuple (??)

The long-term guys are now in a joint relationship with another guy. I find it fascinating since I cannot track down and keep one guy.

What has gotten me curious is how is the attention distributed between 3 people in a relationship? Is it like a "best friends" scenario? Do you report to each other how you spent time with the other? It is puzzling me.

And again - no harm intended with this observation I am making for myself. Heck I would not mind having two guys swoon over me.

2. mnguy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    The attention thing could be tough as one might feel left out if two were together too much or shared stuff w/o the other. Maybe only platonic like the Golden Girls.

3. mnguy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Also was going to say I thought the title was about what your life is like in an alternate universe. That's fun to think about sometimes to help cope with this world.

4. quebec

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    My first thought about this is that all three people in that kind of a relation ship would really need to be open to the other two. Communication would be absolutely of prime importance to avoid hard feelings or jealousy. I don't imagine that there are very many people who could make that kind of a relationship work for any length of time...but if they can...more power to them! :old_big_grin: :old_rolleyes:
    .....David :gay_pride_flag:

#4 quebec, Nov 2, 2022
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2022
  5. Aspen

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's called polyamory or non-monogamy and can involve more than three people. How it works depends very much on the relationship. Sometimes person A is dating both B and C. Sometimes all three are dating each other. The relationships can be romantic, sexual, or both. Non-monogamous relationships require a lot of communication and understanding of boundaries, but there isn't a "cut and dry" method for distributing attention, especially when you consider that everyone in the relationship is going to have their own job and other responsibilities outside of it. If you're dating someone who has a demanding job, you're naturally going to spend less time with that person. It doesn't mean you care about them less than anyone you're spending more time with.

And, no, typically you don't "report" how much time you're spending with the other person. Non-monogamous relationships, again, take a lot of communication and trust. It isn't a secret, but it also isn't a precise accounting of where you were, who you were with, and what you were doing.

6. Aeolia

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    yup, just like aspen said. takes a lot a of communication.
    it's not rare to see "open couples" or "polyamorous couples" or "trouples" go wrong when all parts are not on the same wavelength. it's already hard enough with two people, so when you add more it can get tricky.
    On the other hand, there are plenty of healthy relationships between more than two people. Takes trust and communication, just like a good ol' healthy couple.