1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Maybe soul mates are a thing after all

Discussion in 'Family, Friends, and Relationships' started by unknown18, Apr 2, 2018.

1. unknown18

Me and my friend were just leaving the gym when all of a sudden my crush appears out of nowhere. The funny thing is, I was just thinking about him in my head at that very moment. Not to mention similar situations to this have happened before. I seriously feel like someone is watching me or something. Anyone else had similar experiences to this?

2. BlueNeon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I had something similar happen to me yesterday. I've been dating a girl for a couple of weeks now, and I wanted to do something nice for her since yesterday was Easter. So, I put together a small basket of chocolates, a stuffed bunny rabbit, and a card. I was going to leave this basket at her door on Easter morning. When I left my apartment to go put the basket at her door, I ran into her as she was on the way into my building with an Easter basket to leave at my door. :stuck_out_tongue:

Personally, I don't really believe in the idea of soulmates or something like that. I think that when you're thinking of someone because you're interested in them, events involving them take on more of a personal significance. It feels amazing when they show up when you were thinking about them because of the fantasy that gets built up around seeing them and interacting with them. If my brain wasn't so fried from a two hour history lecture from the world's most boring professor, I'd have the right term for it. I think it's related to that logical fallacy where a person notices what already conforms to what they're looking for, and they don't notice all the times when their theory doesn't fit.

Of course, I could be completely wrong. I don't claim to have all the answers. That's just my theory. Whether it happens because I'm wrong and soulmates are a thing, or if I'm right and it's just a product of coincidence, it doesn't matter. Just enjoy it. I remember a quote that seems appropriate here - "It doesn't stop being magic just because you can explain it". So, whether it's just the random chance of life, or a cosmic force that pulls you together, just go with it. :slight_smile:

unknown18 and Rakkitora like this.
  3. Rakkitora

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Woah, that's really cool! That closest thing I've come to that is having my crush text me about the same exact thing I'm thinking about at that exact moment, but that might just be because we have really similar interests.

I kinda agree with BlueNeon about soulmates, but I think its kind of like other things that some people just have faith in. Like, I believe that someday we're going to find aliens, but I have no way of proving it. At the same time, there's no way of disproving it. There definitely could be some kind of psychological explanation, like confirmation bias ("the tendency to interpret new evidence as confirmation of one's existing beliefs or theories") and I tend towards this line of thought, but at the same time I can also see the existence of soulmates. Like my Aunt and Uncle seem made for one another.

And like BlueNeon said, I guess it really doesn't matter. Obviously, many people hope to find a soulmate, and even if I don't really have faith in that idea, I'm still going to hope that I find my soulmate :slight_smile: I mean, I'm agnostic bordering on atheist, but sometimes I pray, ya know, just in case all that stuff is true.

unknown18 likes this.
  4. LostInDaydreams

Moderator Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've had a similar things happen - thinking a lot about somebody and then they appear. Like others, I don't really think it means anything, but it's a nice thought, so I understand. Be cautious about reading too much into it, but who knows what will happen in the future?

unknown18 likes this.