1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Matthew Shepard --Scarecrow

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Proud1p4, Mar 16, 2007.

1. Proud1p4

Proud1p4 Guest

Well during my preparation for a half-day teacher inservice on homophobia (i hate long explainations :dry: ), i obviously touched upon the story of Matthew Shepard to help them realise the gravity of this issue in present day.

Now to the point, i found a few songs written specially in honour of Matthew. Some just devoted during tours etc.

Some of these songs;

"American Triangle" Elton John
    "Scarecrow" Melissa Etheridge

Melissa's song to Matthew makes me cry. I love it, she is truely amazing. The "scarecrow" metaphor is attributed to the fact that (those who are familiar with the story) Matthew was first mistaken by his saviours as a scarecrow tied to the fence. But then they saw the scarecrow was sobbing, hence moving his chest up and down, something no ordinary scarecrow can accomplish.

I'll give you the lyrics, download it if you can (Melissa's voice gives it depth), and let me know your opinion on the song, Matthew's Story and any songs/poems etc you know that were in (specially) memory of him;

Showers of your crimson blood
    Seep into a nation calling up a flood
    Of narrow minds who legislate
    Thinly veiled intolerance
    Bigotry and hate

But they tortured and burned you
    They beat you and they tied you
    They left you cold and breathing
    For love they crucified you

I can't forget hard as I try
    This silhouette against the sky

Scarecrow crying
    Waiting to die wondering why
    Scarecrow trying
    Angels will hold carry your soul away

This was our brother
    This was our son
    This shepherd young and mild
    This unassuming one
    We all gasp this can't happen here
    We're all much too civilized
    Where can these monsters hide

But they are knocking on our front door
    They're rocking in our cradles
    They're preaching in our churches
    And eating at our tables

I search my soul
    My heart and in my mind
    To try and find forgiveness
    This is someone child
    With pain unreconciled
    Filled up with father's hate
    Mother's neglect
    I can forgive But I will not forget

Scarecrow crying
    Waiting to die wondering why
    Scarecrow trying
    Rising above all in the name of love​

2. Triplume

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I was, and still am to this day, deeply affected by Matthew's story.

Although he died in 1998, I only heard of him several years ago in 2004, before I came out to myself. In fact, his story played a part in helping me come to grips with my sexuality.

Originally, I just danced around those thoughts in my head, and after that, I went into a period of denial and also a period of self-loathing. When I heard Matthew's story, I was first terrified. After all, it could happen to ME one day, I thought. However, instead of being forced further back into the closet, my fear mixed with anger and I took a stand against homophobia. I didn't come out, but I became transfixed on ridding the world of discrimination of every kind. I adopted racism and sexism into my list of "things to eradicate from society" to lessen the gay aspect of my crusade, and it worked. People didn't think I was gay; I was just really opinionated.

I finally did come out shortly thereafter, and I viewed it as both me finally being honest with myself and also as one more weapon in my fight against bigotry.

:smile:

3. dfgnan21

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    There's a movie called The Laramie Project which tells the story of the aftermath of the attack, I haven't seen it since it came out when I was just going into high school.. but I remember it was touching and won a lot of awards. Matthew's life also makes me heartbroken, yet proud.

4. suburbs_of_sodom

Northern Virginia...neither here nor there
    The Laramie Project was originally a play, although the movie version was very well done and both manage tell the story both in the context of a homophobic and confused society and on a very personal level, which makes it very moving to watch.