1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

General News Mass Shooting in Las Vegas

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Kue, Oct 2, 2017.

1. Kue

Kue

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
  2. brainwashed

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I was traveling near my home in Arizona on a 3 lane (3 lanes going the same direction) road. The 3 lanes approached a traffic control light. I was in the middle lane and in the lead of other vehicles in adjacent lanes - there were vesicles behind me on my left and right. The traffic control light changed from yellow to red. I stopped easily. The vehicle in the right lane, came up from behind me and blasted through the red light.

The vehicle that blasted by me on my right could have collided with someone in the intersection. There just seems to be "a mood" in USA of disrespect and empathy for others. There is this pent up "rage" within people. I don't get it.

Being an avid bicycler, I think cars are dangerous weapons and should be banned.

#2 brainwashed, Oct 2, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2017
  3. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    This is really sad. This is now the worst mass shooting in American history.

4. Libertino

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    So the worst mass shooting in U.S. history has now happened in my state. Unbelievable. I shouldn't be surprised; it could happen absolutely anywhere.

Las Vegas is a place rife with crowds. It unfortunately presents many easy targets to someone who wants to wants to "go out with a bang". I don't understand this level of "rage" either. What drives a 64-year-old man living in a retirement community to want to massacre concert-goers?

5. KyleD

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Family only
    I'm really sad to hear what happened. I pray for strength for all of those affected. :disappointed:

6. StarRunner

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's hard to say what drives an individual to commit such a heinous act. The shooter was sixty four years old and had no previous involvement with terrorism or any conflict with the law.

It's obvious this was not a spontaneous act. The hotel room contained at least ten rifles.How do you get that kind of firepower into a hotel room without being noticed?

7. brainwashed

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The following are my opinions (and theory):
    I feel this is yet another "loaner" striking out against all the things he is not. It is yet another example of a "sad person" who says, "Hey here I am, John Doe, look at me, I'm a person and I'm dying inside." These acts are not a cry for help, they are a cry for recognition. These act are in desperation.

Cause, effect. He strikes out against people who are having fun. He is not living a life of fun.

We'll see in the weeks to follow if my opinions, theories come true.

It wouldn't surprise me is this man has never had a solid relationship with someone.

Follow up:
    Why does someone go to a music concert? Because they want to experience the joy of the music they love and be with others. Now think the opposite.

#7 brainwashed, Oct 2, 2017
  8. StarRunner

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's hard to fathom that a 64 year old man living in a retirement community can acquire that kind of massive firepower without anyone being suspicious, let alone smuggling it all into his hotel room over a three-day period. Are there no resrictions on the number and types of rifles that someone can own??? It defies belief.

9. BadassFrost

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This is horrible. I don't get how can ordinary people obtain such weapons there... Condolences to anyone affected by this :disappointed:

10. Creativemind

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This is becoming very routine in this country, as sad as it is. Disgusting.

11. AbsoluteNerd

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I can't say anything that hasn't already been said, so...

12. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's virtually impossible to feel shocked, surprised or even very mournful now every time this happens.

This is what the 2nd Amendment does in a society driven by rage, dissatisfaction and social displacement. It is a sick society with a sick civic culture that is too paralysed even to seriously contemplate change for one of its greatest domestic crises. This isn't normal, acceptable or justified by traditional laws. It's just barbarism.

13. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    No doubt the NRA and others will carry on about how we need even more and more powerful guns, and less regulations. (Nevada has very few regulations)

But I have to wonder: How would a "good guy" with a gun confront and stop the gunman, considering he was shooting with an automatic weapon from a very high elevation in a hotel? Just aim randomly, and from a dense, panicked crowd?

I would really like to know how that oft-touted logic - that if only we were all armed, these things wouldn't happen - applies in this situation.

I can't see any need for people to possess guns of such high capacity; things have gotten badly out of hand, and as the lethality of mass shootings grows, all I see are the Republicans saying things like "Oh, we'll pray for the victims", and sitting on their asses, taking cash from the NRA, who take cash from gun companies. I'd like to see congress do something, instead of offer their condolences; I've seen enough of that.

#13 HuskyPup, Oct 2, 2017
  14. kibou97

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    You know, it's sad to see that there's now an even worse mass shooting than the one that happened at Pulse. I have nothing but sympathy for those who were affected by this and hope that those and wish them luck in making it through what they may be dealing with right now.

15. Creativemind

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yeah, I never got the whole "good guy with guns" argument. Even if a good guy COULD reach the shooter, most civilians are not properly trained enough to know how to handle such a crisis. The good guy could end up killing even more innocent people in the cross fire due to panic. If someone was properly trained, that's another thing, but rarely do people think about the reality of such a situation.

#15 Creativemind, Oct 2, 2017
  16. Kue

Kue

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    II disagree with them being banned, but we need to review how to regulate getting drivers license, and regulate cars more in general

17. DirectionNorth

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Because republicand and conservatives don't think, they just make up any argument they can blurt out. I actually feel bad for the people who are just republicans and conservative views on things like economics, but otherwise don't agree with the 'reasonings' of the rest of those views, for those people to have to be grouped in with the rest of the party. I know republicans who are just economically conservative, but against the nra and against allowing schools to not have gun-free zones(which is literal insanity no matter how you slice it.)

But enough political tangent, I'm just done with their unsound readonings and have just learned to accept they're just rambling whatever pops into their heads for arguments, which will obviously only allow this to keep happening.

And a good person with a gun would want professionals to handle it, especially in a crowded room. Even police and SWAT sometimes have trouble if their line of fire isn't clear. And they're especially trained, not just an average joe who practices at a shooting range once a week or two weeks or whatever. What are the statistics of gun violence in countries with strict gun laws vs the statistics in this piece-of-work country? I think I remember reading it wad virtually non-existent, but that was a while ago and I'm only going by memory.

But what the hell is wrong eith these people when the world is on high alert for actual terrorist attacks, of course the first thing people will think is if it's terrorists. I mean it is technically terrorism , not in the Middle East sense, I mean just someone trying to literally terrorize people.

Does anyone know why? Is it lgbt related? Or just a sick joyride? Last I checked, they didn't see a motive

18. brainwashed

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm being facetious. But as a bicycler I've been hit about 8 times. Two times I went to the hospital in an ambulance.
    From internet:
    How many accidents are caused by texting and driving in 2016?
    Every year, about 421,000 people are injured in crashes that have involved a driver who was distracted in some way. Each year, over 330,000 accidents caused by texting while driving lead to severe injuries. This means that over 78% of all distracted drivers are distracted because they have been texting while driving.Jan 23, 2015

The shooting in Las Vegas as well as all other rampage shootings is tragic. However, I'm putting "things" into perspective. Distracted drivers cause more mayhem.

Disclaimer: I do not own any guns nor do I belong to the NRA.

#18 brainwashed, Oct 2, 2017
  19. KyleD

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Family only
    ^ Guns are made to kill people. Comparing guns to cars is outrageous. Not to mention most of the guns killing a lot of people in Latin America and the Caribbean are made in the U.S. So these guns not only end up killing U.S citizens but people in the entire region of the Americas. My country doesn't produce the guns that end up killing so many citizens in our island each year. They are smuggled into our country from the U.S. When legally acquired guns in the U.S. go missing guess where it ends up?

#19 KyleD, Oct 3, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2017
  20. StarRunner

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It is unfortunate that the connection between the right to bear arms and the rates of homicide by firearms always comes up after these mass shootings, which have become normalized in the US. It astounds me that there cannot even be any consensus for even the most moderate measures of gun control, such as prohibiting assault-style weapons and universal background checks.

In the US, there is an average of almost one gun for every individual per household. Here in Canada, we have stringent criteria and an onerous process to acquire firearms. Gun control works! The US has six times more the rate of homicides by firearms than Canada per capita.

Although the US has 4.4% of the world's population it, it contains half of the civilian-owned guns in the world. In addition, the proliferation and manufacturing of guns in the US has led to an underground gun smuggling trade. Half of the illegal guns used in crime in Canada can be traced back to the US, either through lost or stolen guns.

Since the Sandy Hook shooting there have been 1,518 mass shootings, killing 1,715 people and injuring more than 6,000. If the mass killing of 20 small children isn't a wake-up call, I don't know what is.

When there are more guns in a community there will always be more deaths. People profess their need for guns based on the need to protect themselves and their families, yet statistics don't bear this out as a likely scenario. Guns kill innocent people. In addition to the mass shootings, firearms are used as murder weapons in domestic violence or to keep spouses under coontrol, there are a significant numner of accidental deaths in the home by firearms. Most significantly, there are more successful suicides that are committed by firearms in the home than there are homicides. More women attempt suicide than men, yet more men complete the act since they tend to use more lethal force such as firearms. The states with the most guns have the most suicides.

https://www.vox.com/policy-and-polit...cs-maps-charts