1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mass Effect: Andromeda

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Lazuri, Mar 15, 2017.

1. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I hope so. I would have considered a female character more if their hairstyles didn't look like dookie.

2. Lazuri

EA picks the streamers and youtubers themselves, so they're essentially sponsored and are exclusively personalities of at least some renown.

Though if you're wondering about the early access copy I'm playing, if you're a member of Origin Access, you get ten hours to play the game before you need to buy it and it unlocked yesterday. I've played at least four hours of the story mode so far, so despite EA saying that story progression is capped eventually in the trail version, they're being generous with it. The multiplayer, however, is completely unrestricted for the ten hours you have to play.

However, that's not the version that all the streamers and youtubers are currently playing.

There's like 2-3 decent hairstyles, which is more than DAI:'s barely one okay hairstyle.

Unfortunately, the rest of the character creation is complete dogshit. It's a massive step down from DA:I and even a step down from ME3's character creator. The game let's you choose between seven or so default faces and you can very barely change their appearance at all. What makes it worse is that pretty much all the default heads look like they threw them together a few days ago in the Oblivion character creator. I was dumbfounded at how badly they fucked this up considering that they've been getting better and better up until now.

Trust me, just go with default Sara Ryder.

3. JackAttack

JackAttack Guest

Pre ordered the game for next week and I cannot wait!

4. Lazuri

So today I found out two things.

The first thing is that the facial animations are so bad because the lead face animator for the game was actually a cosplayer that had literally no experience with facial animation previous to her current job at BioWare. I've heard about affirmative action, but this is fucking disgraceful.

The second thing I've learned is that the head designer for the game is an extreme racist towards white people and have commented on twitter about murdering white people more than once. He has also expressed how he's annoyed by over-sexualization of woman in video games. This is why it's damn near impossible to make a white character in ME:A (there are three presets for males that are white and one for women, which makes a total 4 out of 18.) and the presets for female characters pretty much all look terrible--because he does not think women are allowed to look good.

All things considered, I'm gonna skip this game despite looking forward to it so much. I'm simply not going to support a developer that will both hire somebody with no experience in a vital developing role and will have an openly racist person in an even more vital developing role without even penalizing him when he talks about murdering white people and forcing his beauty appeals onto other people.

#24 Lazuri, Mar 18, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2017
  5. tickabox

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I've been looking forward to this game since it was announced, pre-ordered it, then see some dodgy looking pre-release footage and end up thinking WTF have I done. They've made the game sound like it's gonna be great. I never buy into hype, too many games are hyped up way too much that when people get to play them they end up disappointed. I'll give the game a go and will probably spend the whole of Thursday playing it, maybe if I play it thinking it's gonna suck it might not be so bad.

Disappointing to hear about the staff making the game, maybe Bioware were so desperate for staff that's all the could get? I hope not, no matter what it doesn't send a good message when you have staff with no experience and are just a little too far on the wrong side of racist where you wonder how and why they are even employed. Women in games have been, still are and probably always will be over sexualised, big boobs and skimpy clothes are par for the course in some games. He should deal with that or get another job not in gaming.

6. Zoe Izumi

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Personally, I just don't think we should punish the entire staff that worked on a game for the shortcomings of one or two people. That's not even 5% of the people who work on games this size.

Judge a game on it's merits, rather than the merits of a select few developers of it.

At least the mouth animations look better than some Gamecube era games. Note I said SOME, a few Gamecube era games had good lipsync.

#26 Zoe Izumi, Mar 18, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2017
  7. Lazuri

Problem is that these are two LEAD developing roles, it may only be two of them but their influence counts more than hundreds of normal employees.

The thing is that I am judging the game by its merits and I could forgive them if it was just EA rushing them again, but no, it's due to sheer goddamn incompetence that it's like this.

I can not in good conscience buy a game from a developer that supports this kind of thing, because as a consumer, the only real way I have to vote is with my wallet, so that's what I'll do. If you guys still wanna buy it and play it, then do so, but my own conscience won't allow me.

8. PianoKeys

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Wow that changes everything for me. I need to process this a bit. :confused: Thanks for the update

9. tickabox

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    On a positive note the racist is no longer with Bioware. Hopefully they can patch in some white females, doubt it tho.

10. Zoe Izumi

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    if they fired him then that means buying the game doesn't support him anyway. so it's only not buying for the sake of one person now.

They probably can patch in more options, I think i read somewhere that they will too.

11. tickabox

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    He says he quit to set up his own developer but whichever is true I'm glad he's gone. I will need to find out what his company is called so I don't inadvertently buy any of their games.

12. Lazuri

If he's gone, I may reconsider since he was definitely my main issue. The inexperienced lead facial animator was bad, but he's not racist cunt bad. I would've preferred it if he was fired, though. It would've shown some balls on BW's end.

13. clexanet

As you can see, I am *so* prepared. My co-workers and boss are all laughing at me because I'm taking a vacation for a game. :lol: Can Thursday come quicker?

[​IMG]

#33 clexanet, Mar 21, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 21, 2017
  14. tickabox

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    It'll come so slowly that I'll probably end up playing it tomorrow night as it's released 11pm my way. I was planning on waiting until Thursday but I don't think I can.

You wouldn't be the first to take time off for a game. Seemed for a while that when a new COD came out people were suddenly very sick. At least you booked time off.

15. clexanet

Knowing myself, I'll probably do the same. It's released at 1 am my time. I don't think I can manage until after work tomorrow. :lol:

16. Zoe Izumi

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I started playing as close to midnight as I could. Had to download the bonuses I got first.
    I am LOVING the game so far.

17. tickabox

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    How are you playing this already? Do you have early access or something? I don't get it until tonight, just over 7hrs to go.

I'm getting a little excited for this, maybe a bit more than I should at my age but I don't care I've loved these games since the first one.

18. Lazuri

Well, I'm glad you guys like it at least. I couldn't enjoy it properly, but it's nice that you guys can.

19. Zoe Izumi

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It came out at midnight on Tuesday(Monday night) in the EST timezone.

20. tickabox

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    EA did a staggered release then. Nice of them lol. It looks amazing, I've just spent 2hrs on it and didn't even notice.