1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Married for 15 years, 2 kids, just living the motions. Long Story

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by HoplesslyLost, May 24, 2013.

1. HoplesslyLost

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Thanks Zoe, havnt spoke yet meeting on Sunday, but I did reach out. LOL I don't kno what Im saying from one minute to the next.

2. Zoe

Zoe

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think that's completely normal. :slight_smile:

3. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    As was said above, we all have things we are not proud of, things that would cut us off from connecting with others if they all knew this thing or that thing. We feel inadequate, we feel as if we are failures. Nevertheless, I take the stance of a kind of defiant confidence anyway. Why? because I can't change the past, at all.

I need to demonstrate to myself as well as to the others, that my past behaviour is over, that I cannot and will not continue in the kind of sleepwalking numbness that permitted those things to happen in the first place, because I wasn't conscious of what I needed to know about myself.

I counsel a kind of bravado, that seals the deal, and the beginning of a new life.

4. HoplesslyLost

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Well another step. My BF told me today once everything is settled there and I am settled here he will move here because my kids are younger and his 1 is living n his own and his other child is in university. That takes a load of stress off me. He is in the finalization of his settlement from wife, she is not taking things well and screaming to the heaven towards anyone that will listen including their kids. We have tried everything even having her mom contact her. We will have to see what happens.

Now for my path. Well like I said I need to find a place to stay after I come out I know that but I also need to make sure I will be able to live financialy and securely. I've done some research and made some calls. Since my wife makes less than 5000 dollars a year less that me my monthly payments to her will be minimum, but that could change I guess. I have chatted to a divorce lwyer and asked if I could lose the kids, I was told flat out NO. That wont happen. And since the love of my life agreed to move here it is starting to make me think things will be fine. I also without my wife knowing had an appraisal done on our home, so I can figure out the finances if we decide to sell. We live in a big home that both of out salaries is needed to pay and live comfortably. We will walk away with a nice bit of cash each. Hopefully that will ease the pain and help things alone. This all may sound very selfish and sneaky on my part, but I am only tryng to get things in order and assure all are taking care of.

5. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Wow! This is impressive, both on the BF and home fronts! I wish you well!

6. HoplesslyLost

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Well everything blew up, BF gone we decided to split, he is almost finished with his separation agreement and he told me yesterday that he doesn't know if he can wait until I am finished, he needs to get continue with his life and not sit on the couch and wait for something to happen. I couldn't keep him waiting, I love him so much I let him go. Im crushed but who knows what the future holds.

Last night my wife and I spoke for 3 hours I didn't come out but I did tell her my true feeling that I am confused, not happy and I need to start living my life, she said she knows something is wrong and I have been distant for 4 or more years. I told her I felt guilty everyday coming home from work and looking at her and the kids faces, because I know I was making them sad by being depressed and sad myself. I also told her I have to let the guilt go. We spoke about splitting up and I said I would get an apartment sell our big home and I will help her find a smaller place for her and the kids and I would love within 15 minutes away. She cried I cried, at the end of the conversation she said she didn't want us to split, I couldn't say t , it was on my tongue but I couldn't.

Today was quite until about 2 hours ago she came to me crying and put her head on my chest and told me she was scared, I cried again with her. I told her we need to face the reality this is not what we both need to be happy. She said I think we need time, I know if I don't come clean soon she will break and freak out.

This pathway is full of ups and downs, but I think I started the conversation and I will finish it soon I hope.

God Help Me. As for the other fella :slight_smile: I need to push him from m y mind and get my home life figured out, once I get happy myself then I can make others happy.

Good Luck to all :frowning2:

7. Gaysibling

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You may not have gone as far as you wanted to yet, but you have still moved things forward, and prepared the way for your next steps. Try not to beat yourself up for the step you haven't yet taken, and recognise the step that you have taken.

The fact that your wife already knew something was wrong, and that she has felt you have been distant for the last four years shows that you are on the right track and heading in the right direction. Things are not good for her either and in moving yourself forward you will also be fairer to her.

Courage! Hugs to you from afar.

8. Zoe

Zoe

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hello Lost,

I'm so sorry to hear about your boyfriend.

As for your wife, this same situation happened to me only three days ago. When I came out to my husband Wed evening, he was generally very supportive. He kept saying things like, "I'm so glad you told me," and "You have to live an authentic life." I stopped short of saying, "We need to divorce," both because I didn't want to hurt him and because I felt like we had both been through enough for one evening. He said he'd like to stay together.

Well, I immediately felt horrible for not coming clean sooner. We talked about it over the next two days, and I kept hedging. I would say, "Just give me some time to figure things out," when inside my head, I was saying to myself, "Why are you doing this to him? Just come clean."

Bottom line, I was too cowardly. I knew I needed to speak up for what I needed, but I just couldn't bring myself to hurt him again. I knew it was inevitable, however, and leading him on this way was just prolonging the pain.

But he did the math, so to speak, and came to the conclusion that if I was gay, we simply couldn't stay married. He asked me things like, "Do you want to sleep with a woman? Do you want to be in a relationship with a woman?" And I answered honestly ( at least I had the guts to do that). And of course, he reached the only conclusion there is: We have to get divorced.

He kept asking me if any of his logic was flawed (he's a lawyer and thinks like one), and I had to say no. I could feel myself wanting to hedge some more, but I refused, and I'm glad I didn't.

Part of me was relieved he said it, part of me was annoyed at myself for not being stronger and saying it myself. But at least its out now.

All of this is to say that I completely understand why you didn't come completely clean and how you feel now that your wife things all you guys need is a little time. For me, it felt like a had to come out all over again, in that I had to say something very difficult.

You have my sympathy, but from my experience, I would say yes--come clean as soon as you can. It'll be very hard for your wife to hear, but to do otherwise is just giving her false hope and prolonging the process for both of you.

Good luck, friend. I'm thinking about you.

--Zoe

9. HoplesslyLost

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Zoe:

I know you are right and I have to soon. Im happy you are finally rid of your secret and your husband is kind of understanding. Zoe not sure what my next step will be. But I know I can't stay in this state of depression and unhappiness, no matter who it hurts. Selfish? I don't think so, I think people in my life will want me alive and happy rather than alive and dead inside.

I will keep you posted, we never met but your advise and words mean a lot I truly appreciate them.

Take Care and GoodLuck to you.

---------- Post added 2nd Jun 2013 at 02:14 PM ----------

I am very scared and trying to build the courage to tell her, I read DRs letter to his wife , I decided to write on my self with some if his thoughts it explains my thoughts exactly. Please read and comment...

I'm trying to put words to my feelings that I am not strong enough to share with you in person. I wish that I didn’t have to say this in a letter, but I know that I will never have the courage to start this conversation face to face. But, know that everything that I am about to say comes directly from my heart. I started to tell you many times, I wasnt fully sure what was wrong with me, but I do now. I hope you don't react angrly while the kids are here, please leave that for when we are alone, I don't want our beautiful children to see us fight and especially see the hatred that you must feel right now.

I AM GAY.

I can't apologize for that, it is what I am. I finally realized in the past couple of weeks that I am and gather the courage to come out to you or anyone else? The hardest thing that I’ve ever done. (No, I’m not out yet to anyone else; and while I know that you will need someone to talk to, please choose carefully. I don’t want the kids to be hurt more than they will be, This is my story to tell them and I want to be honest with them also.)

I am not ashamed of the fact that I am gay. For years I prayed for my feelings to change, but they only became clearer. I hoped that the feelings that I had for you and the relationship that we built would carry us through, but we are not happy neither of us are and now I know why.

I HAVE NOT BEEN UNFAITHFUL.

I am ashamed of the fact that my being gay has caused and will continue to cause you emotional pain. I’m ashamed of the fact that it’s taken me this long for me to be able to admit to myself or you that I am gay. I’m ashamed for many things that I’ve done, promises that I’ve broken, lies that I’ve told… But I am no longer ashamed that I am gay.

Please know that this is not a passing idea or a “phase” that I’m going through, or any sort of mid-life crisis. I am gay; and unfortunately, my feelings for you can’t erase that.

I don’t know where to go from here. I feel like I am standing in the middle of a dark forest; I’ve come too far to turn back (not that I could even if I wanted to.) I could continue down the path that I’m on; but I cannot continue to live a lie. So I’m choosing to carve a new path. One of honesty and truth. One that will hopefully, eventually, lead to happiness for us both.

I’m sure that you are hurt. I can’t begin to imagine the pain that I have caused you. I’m sure that you’re angry. I’m sure that you are feeling a wide range of emotions right now, most of them negative. I suspect that you’ve known for some time, even though I wasn’t able to admit it. I hope that you feel some optimism for better and brighter days to come when we emerge from living under this cloud. I hope that you can feel some forgiveness.

I can’t say that I’m looking forward to the conversation that needs to happen now that I have come out to you. There’s hundreds of scenarios going through my head right now; most of them are not pleasant. But I’m ready, we both need to be happy and we both need to be strong and respectful as much as we can in the presence of our kids to ensure they get through this as easily as possible.

My heart is broken in a million pieces as I know yours is, but this is the right thing, you had to know and we both need to move forward towards a happy future what ever that may be for us.

I Love you and I wish this wasn't true but it is. I can't continue to hide or feel the guilt I have been feeling it is killing me and it is hurting you.

Now to get the courage to give it to her in person... and wait for the explosion.

10. arturoenrico

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hi Craig,

I read your letter and the previous posts. Coming out to your wife is huge, as I know from my own experience. I have used letters at times as well. I don't want to tell you what to do but, unless I'm reading wrong, you're not telling her the truth in a letter you are stating is the total truth. You said you were never unfaithful, but you were, weren't you? Are you sure you want to do this? You said you want to carve a new path to honesty and truth. If you don't want to tell her you had a relationship, just say nothing. She may ask at some point but at least you're telling the truth now. She will find out; people always do and it won't be pretty. You would be starting out on a false footing and she will never believe you again. Think about this before you give it to her.

11. HoplesslyLost

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Thank Art... your are right, I will not ay anything, I don't want to hurt her anymore than I need to.

Just getting the nerve to give it to her, We have a 50th anniversary party on Saturday night, I bet I get druk and tell her then. Jesus I hope not!!!

12. Flatout

Courage is a tough quality to put into our hands. It is not the absense of fear but overcoming it. If two years ago a window came and went to tell honestly, it likely lingers as a hunch for your wife Yes, Greatwhale had excellent points .
    I told my former wife before we ever got serious.... And we both are proud of our role as co-parents but when she left me for someone else after 15 years it was tough emotionally but liberating. Each person grieves as they move on after an ending. Perhaps that numbness has been telling you that it is there waiting to be worked through. No magic, just tough complicated emotions but so worth the courage and effort. As for the quandry of the absent bf. ..... Consider that it may be a transition as each of you take on new identities. I will always hold care and a kind of love for a special man that was a province a way and too scared to come out. Our time gave me something. It could have been more but i cant push someone else beyond their comfort zone. I have moved on but fondness does not have to die after a relationship serves the purpose it plays for each one.

13. HoplesslyLost

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I feel like I am losing my mind. Only two thoughts in my head. 1 tell my wife 2 My ex bf. I started to think that maybe I am starting this journey to keep him, I realize that's not what I should do not for him. I have to try and not thin of him buts it hard. I need to summon the courage and tell my wife. I just can't build the courage.
    How long can I continue like this. Why is everything happening at once, now I feel like a whiney bitch. I;m so confused and angry at the world.

14. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi Craig,

I'm so sorry you are feeling this way. So sorry also for what happened with your BF.

This is where you have to follow your plan, you don't have to think about it anymore, just carry it through and focus, really focus on doing what is necessary for the future wellbeing of all the members of your family, including yourself.

The grieving (and healing) process can only really begin after you take this step...

We are with you on this!

15. HoplesslyLost

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Thanks GreatWhale. Just need to do it. Easier said than done. I feel totally lost.

16. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    God! I know...as Winston Churchill said: "When you're going through hell...just keep going!"

17. HoplesslyLost

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    That's great advice for sure, never heard that before. I started to look for some kind of support group here in my home town, but nothing is available. I need to talk to someone for sure.

Thanks Again

18. LateRobert

Hi Craig,

I am in the same position you are in right now and planning on coming out to my wife of 24 years in a few days. I am also in the middle of composing a letter to her and have been absolutely petrified of telling her, what her reaction might be, and how her actions could damage my relationship with my kids, but this week I have been starting to feel a bit relieved that I am almost there.

I too spent many years covering things up and just want to be honest so I can start to repair the damage and move forward.

I agree with Arturo in that it is important to be totally honest. I do not wish to tell my wife that I have been unfaithful, and I figure there will be enough to deal without her knowing that as well. I will tell her that I am ashamed, but I do not want to go into the details right now - as it would not help the situation at all. I will give her a few days to digest this first and expect we will have more talks over the next couple weeks.

You don't want to tell a lie now and get caught out later as you will need her trust to retain her friendship which will be important for co-parenting as you move forward.

I will tell her that I want her and I to go to a counsellor together so we can discuss the best way to tell the kids. I have heard that it is better to give kids all the bad news at once... that could be ... Mom and Dad are splitting up.... Dad is gay, etc., rather than tell them first that you are splitting up and then weeks later that you are gay.

I am not sure of the ages of your kids, however, when telling the kids, I think it is important to do it together, and to give them reassurance that there will be as little change to their routines as possible.

Good luck my friend
    ~Robert

19. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I would just like to add a note of caution with respect to anything written, as these things go, written documents in the legal world are considered to be evidence that could be used against you.

Having been through this, a little bit of being hard-nosed about these things will save you a lot of trouble later...

20. HoplesslyLost

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Thanks guys appreciate all ur advice. Goidluck to all