1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Married and on the Brink of Coming Out - Advice

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by Maelstrom67, Jan 29, 2013.

1. Jim1454

Maelstrom, Congratulations for finding the courage to come out to your wife. I didn't have to disclose any details - she didn't ask me to. I'm not sure it's really necessary - but if she asked it's good that you were honest.

Give it some time to sink in. Her original position was perhaps not what she'll ultimately want to do. I'm not sure why she'd want to maintain a marriage that wasn't a true union. Hopefully she'll come around to the idea of counselling - I think it's critical for the two of you to maintain a healthy relationship through this crisis.

Coming out won't necessarily correct that situation. I'm out - obviously. Any apparently her new husband wasn't keen on inviting us to their wedding, and when invited he wasn't planning on attending ours. He has a real hang up with me, even though he knows I'm gay. He is of the mind that divorced people are supposed to hate each other, and the fact that my ex and I get along so well is still threatening to him - even though I'm gay.

2. Maelstrom67

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hey guys, just an update. Things have gotten a lot better, lots of communication, my wife and I love each other, we have a 17 year history, I'm still not ready to come out to the world, I can't imagine putting my kids through a divorce and it would be financially disastrous for me to move out so the best option at this point is to stay married. My wife has been very accepting which has only caused my love for her to deepen. Our sex life is rekindling, I have heard there is sometimes a "honeymoon" after one spouse comes out and I expect that's what this is. I have told her I cannot suppress who I am and she is willing to let me see men on the side. I have a few, regular, closeted, married "buds" who I see from time to time and she is fine with that. I can't believe what I have been sharing with my wife regarding my "other life." She wanted to see my on-line profile on *** and actually I showed it to her....totally blows my mind and something completely unthinkable just two weeks ago. Before we fully re-engage sexually I am getting a complete STD screen (I fully expect it to be clear) and we are seeing a counselor to help us navigate the open relationship thing.

I feel so much better about myself and my outlook on the world has improved greatly. It's really amazing. I don't know if this open relationship thing is going to work out, she may not actually be able to live with it and it may not turn out to be enough for me....from what I hear the odds are against us but it is something we need to try. If nothing else it will give us a "breather" between my coming out and wherever we end up. If it works for us, great, if not at least we gave it a try. Wherever the future leads it is going to be a better place for me than the past.

Thank you for all of your comments and support, this would have been so much harder without all of the encouragement I have received on this site. I will keep you posted on how things go.

3. SaleGayGuy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hi Maelstrom67

It’s good to see you back on the air; I was getting a bit concerned. I am so happy for you both that you are able to discuss calmly your issues and your wife is at least understanding of your needs and permits limited contact with other guys.

I am really surprised you have come so far in such a short space of time and it gives me hope for when I eventually come out to my wife. It will be interesting to follow your progress with an open marriage; I read somewhere that something like 30% do succeed so I keep my fingers crossed for you and your wife.

Have you shown her this web site?

All the best to you both Sale Gay Guy

#23 SaleGayGuy, Feb 5, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2013
  4. TAXODIUM

Wow. Just. Wow. It's almost as if *I* wrote this post, word for word, down to the "straight pill." This is like reading my own screenplay.

This post is from 2013. I would love to know how this story has played out over the last couple of years.