1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Marijuana vs cigarettes which one is worse?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by TimTomC, Jun 13, 2013.

?

Marijuana vs Cigarettes

1. Marijuana is better for you then cigarettes

44 vote(s)
    69.8%
  2. Cigarettes are better for you then Marijuana

4 vote(s)
    6.3%
  3. They're both equal

13 vote(s)
    20.6%
  4. I'm not sure

2 vote(s)
    3.2%
  1. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'd say cigarettes are a lot more dangerous.

Weed can present problems, certainly, but I feel it's much safer than alcohol. Odd to me that the one is legal, and the other, illegal. (In most places)

I was reading about Carl Sagan describing how he liked to smoke, and would let his mind wander in the shower, theorizing, and how later, he'd come back to it in a clear state of mind, and sometimes find little nuggets of insight. I found this to be true with writing as well. It didn't really 'cause' me to be more creative, but it broke down a certain barrier to where I'd just write rough drafts, and not care, and then, in a clear state of mind the next day (S), I'd go back, and revise, revise, revise. (Poetry/fiction).

I can't see doing this if I were to drink too much.

Also, I'd say Alcohol is the main gateway drug, given that most people try it first, and due to the way it breaks down inhibitions. It can lead people to do any number of things, including drugs of whatever sort. I've not seen this effect with weed on nearly the same level; if anything, one might become a bit overly cautious.

But as with most everything, I think moderation is the key. And, there are ways to use weed that don't involve smoking (Vaporizers, baking, extraction), so that one needn't damage the lungs at all.

I favor making it legal, and taking a different look at the entire 'addiction' paradigm, and addressing what the root causes are, as opposed to placing all the focus on addictive outcomes.

#41 HuskyPup, Jun 14, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2013
  2. Ettina

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well, cigarettes are more addictive, but marijuana can be addictive too, as Chip pointed out.

Both are bad for your lungs, and for other people's lungs due to second-hand smoke. I've heard it said that marijuana is worse per smoke, but is usually smoked in smaller amounts. If that's the case it'll probably mostly even out.

Marijuana also impairs your functioning a lot more than cigarettes. You can drive safely with nicotine in your system. It also doesn't impede your ability to perform your job or care for your child the way being high on marijuana does.

Overall, I'd say cigarettes are better, but neither one is good.

I do support making marijuana legal, however, because it's better than alcohol.

3. DMark69

Marijuana has 3 times the Tar, and 70% more cancer causing substances than Tobacco Source Web MD. That said I will never smoke either, regardless of the legality of it.

4. Miaplacidus

Montevideo, Uruguay / Buenos Aires, Argentina
    Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    There are people who smoke 60 cigarettes a day. I have never ever personally seen anyone consume more than three joints of weed in a single day... enough said.

I have never seen anyone really addicted to weed, either.

5. MixedNutz

It's been proven weed is better for you then cigarettes.

Cigarettes truly have no redeemable value to a human. Besides expediting death.

Stoners however are annoying, but that is dependent on the amount you smoke over a long period of time.

When I was younger I used to smoke pot recreationally, but could never stand cigarettes. Now they both smell bad to me.

6. leer

I used to have a few joints at the weekend and IMO it was harmless But I have an ex who used it heavily that can bring on mood swings bouts of depression he also ran up a heavy weed bill that I paid off then we split . I dont use it anymore I hardly smoke at all now .

7. Lewis

I smoke cigarettes and I see it as a personal decision to do so. Both marijuana and cigarettes are bad for you, there's no denying that. It's like comparing a big mac and a pizza - neither of them are good for you, but it may vary on how bad both of them are.

Just live and let live.

8. Ettina

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Oh, and cigarettes also have medicinal value. They can help people with psychotic disorders. They're less effective than anti-psychotics, but the side effects are often milder as well.

9. Rakkaus

Rakkaus Guest

Cigarettes don't have any medicinal value. Nicotine might have some medicinal value to some people, which is why people say it calms their nerves and stuff, but there's no value to breathing burning tobacco smoke into one's lungs. The unhealthy 'side effects' of that delivery method far outweigh any medicinal value from cigarettes.

10. Zaio

Zaio Guest

Haven't read others posts as I'm in a fatigued state due to the heat over here at the moment, so forgive me if a similar comment has already been posted.

Marijuana is much more harsh on the lungs than cigarettes, but the thing is, is that most stoners smoke a lot less marijuana than heavy cigarette smokers smoke tobacco, so for that reason, the overall damage is probably less than that of a cigarette smoker. However, marijuana has been proven to cause long-term fatigue, and general apathy. So for that reason, I say their equally bad, in terms of physical and mental health.

All the best.

11. chrisV

cigarettes are MUCH worse. weed gets you high, the only bad part is inhaling smoke (which can be avoided by vaporizing, or eating). when you smoke cigarettes, you are inhaling tar, smoke, and a bunch of toxic chemicals.

i don't do either (i have no desire to) but if i had to choose, i would definitely smoke weed.

EDIT: the weed is only safer if it is pure weed, and nothing else, but people usually lace weed with other drugs, so i would avoid buying it unless you know it's just marijuana, and nothing else (which is very rare).

#51 chrisV, Jun 17, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2013
  12. FruitFly

Honestly as much as I know there are medicinal benefits to marijuana it doesn't change my view on recreational users, and my view of both pot smoking and cigarettes is pretty much the same; I don't care what other people do, and I do not weigh them against each other.

With that said I'd date a cigarette smoker over a pot smoker; I've spent far too much time among pot smokers (as a non-pot smoker) to want to be with someone who recreationally smokes.

13. Stray

Weed is by far, less detrimental to your well-being than cigarettes. As for stoners themselves, we're not all dead heads that eat cheetos and watch TV all the time. I vape every night because I have quite severe insomnia (serious enough that I take pills every night I can't vape). At the same time, I hate being high while the sun is up, so I never smoke during the day, which enables me to be even more productive during the day (because I see myself as having to earn the right to vape). But I have friends that are high 24/7, and I understand people's annoyance.

14. Martin

Board Member Admin Team Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It depends what you mean by worse. I've gone for equal, because I see the effects of it beyond just physical health.

The main problem with tobacco and marijuana isn't that they can both damage your physical health when abused, but that they are largely used by people who have inadequate coping mechanisms for hardship and instead use it as a therapeutic solution for dealing with shit. As a result, it taps into addictive tendencies that anybody is vulnerable to when taking substances under such unhealthy social contexts, so both become equally as dangerous in terms of the psychosocial effects that they have on vulnerable people.

I think to simply look at the issue purely based on legality and effects on physical health is like looking at something through a toilet roll. Such issues are far more complicated than the dichotomy that people present when taking moral positions on substances. You can't really obtain a grasp on what is 'worse' until you actually take a holistic view of why people tend to be drawn to such substances, and what psychosocial conditioning they're using such substances for.

The same can be said for something like alcohol, which is the biggest killer of all. Taking it in moderation within a socially acceptable context has hardly any health implications for the here and now, whereas people taking it to medicate will end up being at risk of alcohol poisoning etc, and their addictive behaviours grow due to it being their source of comfort.

It's never just about the drug.

15. Martin

Board Member Admin Team Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's interesting you say that, as I never would have believed it this time last year.

I've spoke to a lot of the drug clients at work about their substance misuse when completing assessments and care plans, and I've yet to meet one who hasn't affirmed this.

I've even spoken to countless ex-heroin users who've said that, in comparison, quitting heroin was a lot more easier for them than quitting tobacco and marijuana. Now that's not to say that people should take heroin instead as it's a highly addictive opiate, but it emphasizes my point about it never just being about the drug. It's always about the conditions in which people take it, and the ability to swap addictive tendencies to something like tobacco or marijuana really is very simple for them to do when weaning their way off other illicit drugs.

What's even more surprising to me is that tobacco and marijuana abuse has caused them more physical health problems than heroin abuse has. It's not all that surprising given that heroin isn't really a 'dirty' drug, as a lot of the complications from it are based on the rapidly changing tolerance levels that the body develops, and the effects that IV-abuse has on the skin and circulatory system. However, tobacco and marijuana seem to tap into the addictive tendencies of people on a psychological level as a way of exploiting emotional and social dependencies on it, and it's something that's so much harder to tackle.

If anything, if it was just about the physical effects then it would be so much easier to tackle. Sadly it's alcohol, marijuana and tobacco that substance misuse organisations really have massive difficulties in 'curing' because they all have much deeper psychosocial meanings underpinning the abuse.