1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lowering anti depressant

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by alwayshope11, Jun 28, 2012.

1. alwayshope11

Hello! I recently lowered my dosage of an antidepressant for a few reasons...one is that I had to cuz the doctor said my dose was too high....for like 6 days now I've been feeling anxious ... I read it's normal to feel some effects like anxiety when lowering a medicine for a few weeks or so...has anyone had a similar experience?

2. TraceElement

If I recall... you're on citalopram, right? This drug also works to help curb anxiety, so yes, it is normal to feel more anxious on a lower dose. The FDA said that doses higher than 40mgs can cause heart rhythm problems which may be why your doctor wants you on a lower dose. (but I'm no MD...)

3. alwayshope11

Yea that's why!

4. Zapha

I've read another thread here on EC where someone had reported having a bit of anxiety after tapering their anti depressant down. For most people, withdrawal symptoms clear up within 2 weeks, so hopefully everything will be back to normal soon :slight_smile: