Losing my best friend...

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Chierro, Apr 10, 2012.

1. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    And the problem with that is... you won't find anyone who can give you any magical help on getting him back, because, most likely, you won't be able to.

I know you don't want to hear this, but one of the things that you come to learn as you go through high school and into adulthood is... most friendships you make in childhood and even into your mid-teens don't last in the long term. This is talked about a lot in social psychology and developmental psychology, and it has to do with the nature of friendships changing during those years.

Very often, as people get older, they grow apart. Their interests change, the sort of people they feel comfortable around changes, and, therefore, their friendships change.

One of the other things that's important to learn in life is to accept the things you can't change, and move on and adapt. Otherwise, you'll spend an awful lot of time being unhappy by trying to make things happen that can't happen.

I know how much it sucks to have a difficult time making new friends, or to feel awkward. Quite a few people have a difficult time with friendships, particularly in high school... it can be rough. One of the things I can suggest is to see if it might be possible to see a counselor or therapist at your school, or privately, if that's an option... and talk about the issues you have with making friends.

Social adjustment is one of those things that tends to be a self-perpetuating cycle unless and until you get some external help in learning new behaviors that help to overcome the awkwardness, and most schools do have people on staff that can help with that sort of thing.

I know it feels like this is the worst thing ever, but I assure you, it isn't. You'll get over it, and in time you'll find another friend that you connect with... and you may continue to have a friendship with your "best friend" but it may just change into a more common friendship. And that isn't necessarily a bad thing; you may find yourself developing a circle of friends rather than one single best friend, and that, too, will help with social awkwardness.

Again, I realize this isn't what you want to hear, but I hope it helps.

2. Eww

Eww Guest

Something like that happened to me, three times. In a short while, you'll look back at it and feel sorry for the things that happened that were negative, and it will always hurt a little, but it won't seem so big then. Meanwhile, keep looking for new friends.(*hug*)

3. BudderMC

The other thing is, making friends only seems remotely awkward when you're actively seeking them out. And IMHO, I've always found the best friendships just 'develop' over time. You see someone in a class, or common activity or something, and get to talking to them. Talk to them a little more and more each day, and soon enough, you'll find yourself looking forward to seeing them the next time. Hence, a friendship is born. :slight_smile:

Try being content without having a 'best friend'. When you're happy with yourself, that'll exude through your actions, and people will see something in you worth coming over to talk to, or hang out with.