1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Looking to test myself for your enjoyment (I hope)

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Tyrael, Jan 6, 2014.

?

What kind of story should I write? (Include details in a post + which kind it's for)

1. Sci-fi

8 vote(s)
    25.0%
  2. Fantasy

17 vote(s)
    53.1%
  3. Crime

7 vote(s)
    21.9%
  1. Munyal

Write a sci-fi story about a girl from the 1800s who is thrust into the year 3426. She has only her dog...and it is the only one left on the planet. Suddenly the dog is of great interest to the scientists of the galaxy.

Also, she is stuck living with an alien who is trying to fix the local community's water supply, but what nobody realizes is that the local government is actually sending water away for reasons unknown...

Lastly, a famous singer from the year 87364, who is widely considered to be the Justin Bieber of his generation, is sentenced to banishment to the "lowly" levels of life in 3426, and since the singer is more evolved than other species, he is of great interest, along with the dog, to scientists everywhere.

I voted sci-fi if you couldn't tell.

2. Tyrael

That's some sci-fi stuff indeed Munyal lol. Seems more detailed than simply ideas! You have an agenda yourself?

3. Samira

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I think you should do Sci Fy even though I voted crime :slight_smile: make it with Vampires :slight_smile:

4. Some Dude

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I think a really interesting plot twist would be if the protagonist ends up becoming the antagonist either through character development or showing the reader the point of view of the character whom was originally believed to the antagonist and making them realize that they were the good guys all along.

5. Tyrael

Some very good ideas. I'll keep you guessing I'm sure. I was going to suggest a sci-fi/fantasy cross over but now it seems crime is making a comeback lol.

---------- Post added 7th Jan 2014 at 04:34 AM ----------

I have to go to bed but I'll let the poll run for another 24 hours and see if it gets any more attention. If not I'll pick one based on the most votes (or a combination perhaps??) and go with it! You I post the finished story here or in another thread?

6. An Gentleman

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I like sci-fi.
    As for ideas...
    Humanoid alien comes to Earth, but he barely speaks any of the languages, doesn't get the customs, and his Basic Universal Translation Tool (BUTT) is on the fritz.
    Also, the female humanoid aliens do not have boobs, since that is what makes sense.

7. Simple Thoughts

What if you did all three?

Take a fantasy setting, layer it with a science fiction generated back story, and make then you could use the format of a murder/mystery to tell your gripping fantasy story 0.o

---------- Post added 7th Jan 2014 at 02:18 AM ----------

I always wanted to write a murder/mystery where the detective at the end finds out he has multiple personality disorder and the murder he'd been chasing was himself...then I watched Fight Club -.-'

8. Tyrael

Fight Club is awesome lol. The book is well worth a read by the way. I have an idea for a story, but I'm not sure if I want it to be a short story or for this idea to be my novel. I've literally just had a eureka moment and I don't know if I want to use this for the short story lol argh.

So many good ideas on here though, and I will definitely be writing a mixture of genres instead of sticking to one as it seems there isn't a real consensus! It may take me a short while to write the story but I'll make it the best I can. However I need to make these quick notes...

9. Simple Thoughts

What you should do is write your idea down as a short story, and if you still feel the same passion for it once it's done, you can expand it into a full length novel. I'm pretty sure Stephen King's 'Dark Tower' series started as a few short stories, and now it's a novel series :slight_smile:

10. Tyrael

I like it :slight_smile: that's what I'll do then. I guess there's no harm in sharing it with you all even if I'm going to adapt it into a full novel. I've made some notes of my ideas and I'll get started on it tomorrow.

11. Tyrael

Update: In case you lot had thought I'd forgotten about this I absolutely have not! I have been trying to move into my new flat so I've been a bit busy. However I have managed to get a plot and setting etc noted done ready to go. I'm working on defining my protagonist but I am definitely getting there. I'll have it done soon as possible and I believe it will be great!

---------- Post added 13th Jan 2014 at 04:41 AM ----------

Oh and I should add, I've managed to cover all three genres in this one story as it seems we can't get a clear cut decision! :icon_bigg